Thread poster: Richard Kimber
Richard Kimber
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:42
French to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2014

Hi all,

Just moved house and need to buy a new internet plan. Skipping unnecessary details: do those with experience and knowledge think standard UK broadband ('up to' 17Mbps with Sky or BT) is fast enough to be productive? In my old house I had Virgin fibre optic (up to 100Mbps, more like 18 most of the time).

Please, please, no responses suggesting particular packages or asking whether I have considered such-and-such an option. I have. I know that the maxim is 'the fastest you can afford'. 'Afford' is the keyword here, and I'd like to know from those with firsthand experience if a slower connection speed is still conducive to a decent work rate.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful input and advice!

Direct link Reply with quote

wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:42
Member (2011)
French to English
Broadband Oct 10, 2014

Hi Richard,

I don't really understand what you mean by "conducive to a decent work rate".
It all depends on how you work.

If you work online all the time (using server-based CAT systems) then obviously connection speed is of paramount importance.

I try and avoid online work (as defined above) at all costs, as I live in a remote, mountainous area of France with slow broadband, so I just put up with it when receiving or returning large files by e-mail. My broadband speed is fine for other online activities (browsing and online dictionary lookups in particular).

Richard P

Richard Kimber
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 10, 2014

Thanks very much, Richard. I suppose, yes, I mean sufficient speed for operating a server-based CAT system (when necessary) while also being able to rely on a webpage loading quickly with 15 other tabs open. I think probably fine! Thanks for your input.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
My experience with satellite Internet Oct 10, 2014

Richard Kimber wrote:
...do those with experience and knowledge think standard UK broadband ('up to' 17Mbps with Sky or BT) is fast enough to be productive? In my old house I had Virgin fibre optic (up to 100Mbps, more like 18 most of the time)...

Up to 12Mbps downlink and 4 or 6 uplink. Enough for Internet browsing and email, but not for online work with remote TM/files. I seldom watch recreative videos or listen to music because bidirectional traffic is capped (16 GB/month). €40+VAT/month + a sat dish. No suitable alternative where I live. Unless they decide to bring fiber, cable or landlines over here!

Philippe

Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
It depends but often 17 Mbps is enough Oct 10, 2014

Richard Kimber wrote:

up to 17Mbps

My connection:
2001 - 2010: 0.768, then 1, then 2, then 3 Mbps
2011 I got 6 Mbps
2012 I got 16 Mbps
2014 I got 50 Mbps

Actually 6 Mbps was sufficient for most of my tasks. But downloading large PDFs (e. g. while researching via Google) ot TMs caused some delays. 16 Mbps was better.

Actually I upgraded to 50 Mbps because it was free and because I wanted to grab one of the scarce VDSL connections in my part of town. And because I wanted to avoid trouble caused by the technical changes being on the doorstep: Here in Germany many home office users will be forced to switch over from ISDN to VoIP very soon, some agreements have already been cancelled by THE network provider. So it's better to act proactively, avoiding the future changeover muddle.

Additionally I'm now well prepared for upcoming possibilities like TV & video in the home part of my home office.

So, if your "up to 17 Mbps" means that at least 50 % of that number is guaranteed by contract, it should be ok.

But don't overlook the upload rate, this might be important in certain scenarios. With 16 Mbps down I had 1 Mbps up. Now I have 10 Mbps up, so I can use my office PC with its convenient & familiar user's environment from remote locations via a laptop.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Spoiled!! Oct 10, 2014

Absolutely no problems here ever and we get about 5 mb/s download and 0.4 mb/s upload speed.

We count ourselves very lucky to get that much round here!!

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Distance from exchange Oct 10, 2014

The speed you actually get will vary depending on how close you are to the exchange and how many other users are connected at any given time. You might find that speeds are slower on weekends or in the evenings, or if you are near many big office-based companies. Here in NW London, in a heavily residential district in the middle of the day before the schools have closed, on an ordinary (v. cheap) TalkTalk account, I'm getting 12.03 Mbps, which is excellent for doing everything all at the same time (working on translations using the Internet constantly for research, watching Italian TV online or listening to Spotify, checking email every 60 secs., downloading BBC programmes using iPlayer etc. - all simultaneously). No delays, no buffering. This speed seems to be maintained most of the time. I'm perfectly satisfied with it and never have to worry about it. In fact I never even think about what speed I'm getting. It just isn't an issue.

PS I am connected to the router via Ethernet (much faster than WiFi, and more secure).
PPS in detail that is 14.21 download speed and 0.84 upload speed.
PPPS MacMini 8 GB RAM running MacOS 10.9.5, no virus checkers that slow everything down

[Edited at 2014-10-10 13:51 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I have the slowest and cheapest Oct 10, 2014

Richard Kimber wrote:
So those with experience and knowledge think standard UK broadband ('up to' 17Mbps with Sky or BT) is fast enough to be productive?

I tested my speed with testmy.net just before I wrote this, and it was 11 Mbps down and 1.6 Mbps up. That's fast enough for me not to notice. I rarely need to download files larger than about 10 MB (occasionally there is a 100 MB file). I do notice that the upload speed is slower, but in general I can attach 10 MB attachments to an e-mail within a minute or so, which is more than enough for me.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Enough is as good... Oct 10, 2014

I only have a skimpy 3 megas but it seems to be enough for me to get by. The only drawback is that it buffers quite a lot sometimes when streaming TV shows, but it doesn't affect my main internet use, i.e. emailing and googling.

[Edited at 2014-10-10 15:42 GMT]

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moon on a stick Oct 10, 2014

Richard Kimber wrote:

... I mean sufficient speed for operating a server-based CAT system (when necessary) while also being able to rely on a webpage loading quickly with 15 other tabs open...

I won't ask what a "server-based CAT system" is... but I instinctively don't like the sound of it. I doubt my 3 mega rural wifi connection would be of any used to the asker, but I never leave more than half a dozen or so tabs open if I can help it.

[Edited at 2014-10-10 15:42 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bucolic Oct 10, 2014

neilmac wrote:

....my 3 mega rural wifi connection ...

wifi is slow (and very vulnerable to interlopers) Can't you use a landline?

[Edited at 2014-10-10 15:53 GMT]

wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Neilmac Oct 10, 2014

What I meant by a server-based CAT system is, for instance, SDL Trados Studio packages agencies send translators with a "link" to their Groupshare or own-site based TMs. The benefits are primarily for the agency (saves them sending you often very weighty TMs in a package), but the translator can query online the ENTIRE TM (not just the extracts that come with Studio packaged projects). In my view, this is quite important, because you often find relevant terms/phrases in the entire TM that aren't necessarily in the extracts (concordance search they call it). However, it does penalize translators with slow broadband, for obvious reasons.

Other server-based CAT systems (can't remember their names offhand) require you to do the entire job online, without any local TMs/glossaries, etc., unless you open your own TMs/glossaires in a separate window (and on a separate monitor, if you have 2 or more!), which is fiddly at the best of times, involving a lot of copying/pasting. Their editors also tend to be rather rudimentary, unlike standalone packages like SDL Studio, Déjà Vu, etc. A complete waste of time in my opinion.

Richard P.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Slow upload speed maybe worth watching out for? Oct 10, 2014

Once you get up to about 10Mbps+ download, that's actually sufficient for many purposes (though faster is always nicer) what I've found can occasionally kill productivity is slow UPLOAD speed-- the client suddenly needs a few urgent changes to that 30Mb Powerpoint and your machine is slowly sitting there chugging it up to their server/dropbox...

But as others have said, it depends a bit on what you're doing...

[Edited at 2014-10-10 17:30 GMT]

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:42
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Server location and number of servers Oct 12, 2014

The Internet provider may offer 100 MB connection speed and most likely honour that between you and his first server. But bandwidth narrows with each server, and if the target server is far away the speed can be drastically reduced.

Google on “Internet speed” and choose a service where you can choose different servers. Start with the closest and work yourself outwards and you’ll see how the speed drops.

Super-high speed is a sales argument and is important mainly to online gamers. Hands on heart: Does it really matters if your server based translation have to wait 0.2 seconds instead of 0.1? And that monster PDF may take 5 seconds on stead of 3?

Consumer watchdogs in most countries are rather dissatisfied with the providers because they can in most cases not deliver what the promise. And you can always change if you are not satisfied.

Good luck

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Switching Oct 12, 2014

Lars Jelking wrote:

.... you can always change if you are not satisfied.

The problem with that is that here in the UK at least, if you want to change providers you also have to change your landline from your existing provider to the new one. This is not easy, and can take a long time. Consequently, this means you also have to change your phone number and e-mail address, and tell everybody you know that these have changed.

[Edited at 2014-10-12 18:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Broadband connection speed

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search