https://www.proz.com/forum/internet_for_translators/279508-anyone_have_an_invite_for_googles_new_%22inbox%22.html

Anyone have an invite for Google's new "Inbox"?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2014

I just heard they gave everyone that is already "inside" 10 invites to give away. Anyone here already manage to get in?

Info: http://www.google.com/inbox/

some_text

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-( Dec 21, 2014

Oh oh, looks like it doesn't work yet with custom Gmail domains (which is what I have). Only with regular Gmail addresses. They said they are working on it; just no time frame yet.

Michael

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hm... Dec 22, 2014

So instead of ''labels'' we now have ''bundles'' and emails look like social media updates. Not convinced, but I guess we'll have no choice once it's rolled out.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
Finnish to French
Google Inbox is optional Dec 22, 2014

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:
So instead of ''labels'' we now have ''bundles'' and emails look like social media updates. Not convinced, but I guess we'll have no choice once it's rolled out.

As far as I understand, Google Inbox is (and will be) an optional add-in: if you don't want to use it, you can continue to use your Gmail account as before. Labels will not be discontinued, Inbox is just a tool to replicate/automate the way we're using labels to filter and organize our mail.

Chien Nguyen
Chien Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 07:59
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
can disable the bundles Dec 22, 2014

We can simply disable the bundles.
At least, I like the way of attachment preview of Inbox.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why does Google penalise its paying customers? Dec 22, 2014

I'm looking forward to when it finally arrives for us paying Google users. I really don't understand their business model here: their latest stuff is never available to people who actually have paid Google products. I currently have a "Google Apps for Work" subscription, but can't use the Inbox invite my brother sent me yesterday with my custom domain/email: [email protected] (which is actually "just" a Gmail account). Unless, that is, I use ... See more
I'm looking forward to when it finally arrives for us paying Google users. I really don't understand their business model here: their latest stuff is never available to people who actually have paid Google products. I currently have a "Google Apps for Work" subscription, but can't use the Inbox invite my brother sent me yesterday with my custom domain/email: [email protected] (which is actually "just" a Gmail account). Unless, that is, I use a free Gmail email account. Why penalise your paying customers? Maybe Hans vdB is right. Maybe they are evil

Michael
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:59
Non-paying users are beta testers Dec 22, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

Why penalise your paying customers? Maybe Hans vdB is right. Maybe they are evil

Perhaps the non-paying users are beta testers for the commercial package?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Makes perfect sense to me Dec 22, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:
I really don't understand their business model here: their latest stuff is never available to people who actually have paid Google products.

Google has a policy to throw things at walls and see what "sticks". Inbox is probably such a project, at an early stage (hence the limited availability via invites). Maybe they're not sure it will stick (remember Wave?).

Typical paying customers of Google Apps for Work are not people like you and me, but rather corporates and other large organizations. In other words the kind of folks that don't really want to act as guinea pigs for experimental projects that may end up being discarded.

If/when Inbox ends up sticking and Google considers is polished/mature enough, I'm quite sure they will make it available to paying customers of their Google Apps for Work. In the meantime, feel free to have your brother e-mail me an invite for Inbox

Like you, I'm using Google Apps for my professional e-mail (with own domain), but unlike you, I'm not paying for it. This is because I was an early adopter (started in 2010) and at that time it was free. Again, early adopters act as the guinea pigs for future paying users, makes perfect sense.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Domi: Dec 22, 2014

Just asked my brother to send you an invite. Not sure if it needs to be sent to the Gmail address you will be using to access it or not. I asked him to send it to the address listed on your website.

I was also an early adopter too, but let it lapse, which is why I am a paying Google Apper now.

Michael

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 02:59
English to German
Non-paying users are bad customers Dec 23, 2014

2nl wrote:

Perhaps the non-paying users are beta testers for the commercial package?

Only paying customers are good customers. So one has to lure the non-paying rest of the world by means of new features.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Google Inbox Jan 2, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Just asked my brother to send you an invite. Not sure if it needs to be sent to the Gmail address you will be using to access it or not. I asked him to send it to the address listed on your website.

My belated thanks to your brother! I received the invite to the "wrong" address (the one with my own domain), but all I had to do was forward it to the "right" address (the one ending with gmail.com) and I could activate Google Inbox on both my smartphone (Motorola MotoG) and my tablet (iPad2). The app is more useful on a phone than on a tablet IMO. I like it so far. If other Gmail users are interested in Google Inbox, they can get invites from me.

When I try to switch to my other account (hosted in Google Apps with my own domain), I'm being told "Your organisation isn't set up for Inbox yet", which I take it means its turn will come, eventually.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're welcome! Jan 2, 2015

Yeah, I'm waiting for them to get around to allowing me to use it with my Google Apps account too.
No big deal though as I have my hands full at the moment trying out Office 365 Personal + OneDrive, which I am rather liking. It's very cheap, given that you get all the Office programs (desktop + online) and 1Tb (soon unlimited) OneDrive space!

I tried "Office 365 for Business" first, but there are al kinds of problems with it still, the biggest being a 20,000-file sync l
... See more
Yeah, I'm waiting for them to get around to allowing me to use it with my Google Apps account too.
No big deal though as I have my hands full at the moment trying out Office 365 Personal + OneDrive, which I am rather liking. It's very cheap, given that you get all the Office programs (desktop + online) and 1Tb (soon unlimited) OneDrive space!

I tried "Office 365 for Business" first, but there are al kinds of problems with it still, the biggest being a 20,000-file sync limit! Wow, some business solution

Michael
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Spying Jan 2, 2015

My default position on anything bearing the name "Google" is that it's a new way to spy on me and to try and get money out of me by tracking what I do, what I purchase, etc.

[Edited at 2015-01-02 12:54 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My View, or, The Resounding Success of Apple's Marketing Team. Jan 2, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

My default position on any company bearing any name whatsoever is that it's a new way to spy on me and to try and get money out of me by tracking what I do, what I purchase, etc.

[Edited at 2015-01-02 12:54 GMT]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Some people hate Google, some people hate Microsoft, some people even hate Apple (yes, they exist), some people hate ×, etc. If you ask me, all large companies are exactly the same: out to make a profit.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone have an invite for Google's new "Inbox"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »