Are there any search engines which accept truncation/wildcard?
Thread poster: Neenah (X)

Neenah (X)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2005

I have been searching for a long time, but it seems like all the search engines don't accept truncation (wildcard/*) anymore. If anyone knows of one that does (and preferably also can read Scandinavian letters), I'd be very grateful!

Regards,
Neenah

Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:16
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
seems not, but there are partial solutions Jan 7, 2005

Hi Neenah, I've been searching for a long time too! but it seems so unfortunately. However, I still have hope.

For the time being, you might use Google Suggest (Beta) as a partial solution. It was last discussed in:
http://www.proz.com/post/191264

It is useful for some searches. But I don't think it supports Scandinavian yet.

Probably you know this, but I'll mention it anyway:
The only wildcard Google now supports seems to be in this format:

"freedom is a * concept"

to find all these and others: "Freedom is a universal concept", "Freedom is a Divisive Concept", etc. But interestingly, this search can't find sentences that doesn't have a item in place of the wildcard, i.e., it can't find this sentence: "freedom is a concept".

You can also make searches like these:

"freedom * is a * concept", to find entries like "Freedom, however, is a relative concept", but this type of search also has the above mentioned setback.

While this is a somewhat different tool, you could find it useful too:
"Eureka's Google term search"

It was mentioned a while ago at:
http://www.proz.com/post/189693

Balaban

[Edited at 2005-01-07 20:52]

Neenah (X)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word stems and truncation Jan 7, 2005

Thank you, it's good to know that at least I can use the wildcard to replace whole words!

However I mainly need it to add to a word stem, for instance sing* once upon a time would have found hits for both sings, singing, singular and so on. This function used to be very useful as I work with Scandinavian languages where the beginning of the words often will be similar, but the endings will vary. But I have now checked more than 30 search engines, and the outlook is rather bleak... ;o)

Neenah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any search engines which accept truncation/wildcard?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search