Thread poster: Ashar

Ashar  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 21:57
English to Urdu
+ ...
Mar 31, 2005

Hi All,

Yahoo! Mail on its home page has announced to provide 1 GB free e-mail storage from early May. The announcement gives the following features:

The latest from Yahoo! Mail
Keeping you posted on all that's new.
What's New

Coming soon! 1GB of storage, free to all users
There's more in store with Yahoo! Mail. By early May, all free Yahoo! Mail users will receive an email storage increase to a whopping 1GB. That's enough space to keep thousands and thousands of emails -- so you'll never have to delete those important messages again!

Virus Cleaning

Find Messages Faster

My question is what will be the future of fee based ISP's e-mail services which restrict one to be present at one's place when one can use the free services of yahoo,gmail and hotmail anywhere in the globe, and even at much enhanced capacity.

Hamad

Direct link Reply with quote

Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:57
German to English
+ ...
GMail and security Feb 23, 2006

Ashar wrote:

My question is what will be the future of fee based ISP's e-mail services which restrict one to be present at one's place when one can use the free services of yahoo,gmail and hotmail anywhere in the globe, and even at much enhanced capacity.

Hamad

Dear Hamad,

I read your post and wanted to take this opportunity to point you to another thread I had opened some time ago. It deals with the security concerns that are linked to GMail. Have a peek here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/30684

Best regards,

Kerstin

Ashar  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 21:57
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If not free e-mails then what to rely on in case of global mobility? Feb 23, 2006

I agree with security concerns regarding google but there are some other issues too:

* In the so-called new world after September 11, there is no guarantee that your incoming and outgoing e-mails will not be checked. I know a case of a European country, where all the mail messages are scanned by all the ISPs on a directive by home ministry and Police.

* What about those translators who have global mobility? In my case, I sepnt 6 months in Denmark, spending 6 months in Netherlands and after that I will be in UK for one year. During this time I also travel to my country Pakistan and am in touch with all my translation projects. In that scenario, if I don't rely on free e-mails, than what should I do?

Regards,
Hamad

Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:57
German to English
+ ...
Webmail Feb 23, 2006

Ashar wrote:

In that scenario, if I don't rely on free e-mails, than what should I do?

Regards,
Hamad

Hamad,

Check with your ISP if they offer Webmail services or check into some other free email services.

We've been pleased with using Fastmail: www.fastmail.net

Not a single piece of spam and reliable service. Maybe that's a good starting point?

Cheers,

Kerstin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Enhanced Yahoo! Mail- 1 GB

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search