Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:31
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 17, 2006

Dear colleagues

Today I had a very unpleasant surprise. A "fellow" translator had copied a huge oild and gas glossary created by me, and published at my web site, and sent entirely as is to a translators portal to get one month free membership.

I inmediately contacted the translator site, and I got a reply that satisfied me (I was informed that they had removed the one month free membership and asked me what I wanted to do with my glossary).

he thing is: I do want to share my terminological data base. I mean, you need a term, you browse the Internet and get to my site. If you like my proposal, use it. What I do not accept is that someone comes, downloades it entirely and uses to get discounts or free memberships or... get money for my job.

What can I do to avoid this misuse of the information? How can I protect my oil & gas glossary?

I would appreciate your comments.

Thank you very much

Clarisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:31
Italian to English
Here's what I did... Mar 17, 2006

Hi Clarisa,

When I set up my wine glossary five years ago, I wanted to protect the content and also to be able to update it quickly and easily.

After talking things over with a friend's son, who runs a successful web studio, I decided that the best thing would be to put the terms into an online database that could be updated with a simple adminstration program.

This not only protects the contents of the database, it also encourages users to write to me about words or phrases that are missing, which helps to build up the content.

Currently, my wine glossary exists in the following forms:

a master database in an Excel spreadsheet;
a MultiTerm iX termbase for day-to-day-use;
a Word table for colleagues working on projects with me;
the online database.

My solution is not cost-free but there is probably freeware around that would enable you to create your own online database.

Suerte,

Giles

[Edited at 2006-03-17 17:37]

[Edited at 2006-03-17 17:38]

[Edited at 2006-03-17 17:39]

xxxOlaf
English to German
Add a copyright notice Mar 17, 2006

Your web site and your glossary doesn't contain a copyright notice. This might give others the idea that everything can be freely used. You may want to add a general copyright statement at the start page.

A somewhat sneaky low-tech solution would be to smuggle in one or two made-up entries and translations that look authentic to the non-expert but don't really exist. If your dictionary gets copied again you can easily prove that it's based on your work because these entries will only be found in your glossary.

Olaf

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Although it may sound unnecessary to you Mar 18, 2006

I would urge you to put your name on the glossary page along with the Copyright.

I'm speaking from the point of view of our own collection, GlossPost. If someone searching for a term came across your glossary (which does not have a link back to your homepage), it might not occur to him to trace it to the root directory (ending in ".com"). Thus, although he does not appropriate authorship, he may not be able to correctly attribute it.

In this connection, I would like to clarify that this is what we mean by "source" on the GlossPost interface. We do not refer to "www" or the "internet", but to the authors/holders of any copyright, and a correct entry on that line is crucial to contributions being accepted without further edition. (If we edit such contributions, it subtracts 5 browniz).

xxxmediamatrix
Spanish to English
+ ...
forget about copyright - use technology! Mar 18, 2006

Olaf's and Parrot's comments about copyright are fair enough from a 'legal' point of view but will do nothing whatsoever to stop mis-use of your glossary as it stands today.

Giles has the right approach - and his website is an excellent example of how to do it.

Basically, anyone who publishes large tables of data (of any kind) on a publicly-accessible webpage is asking for trouble. It takes 5 minutes for any moderately competent user of Excel or Access to get that table into their database and pretend it is their own work. By putting it in a searchable web-base yourself, you force the user to take small chunks at a time - and many casual hackers (thieves...) will give up before they get it all.

I don't have any glossaries on my website (yet ...) but I do have a 3500+ bibliography for the broadcasting and telecoms industries and I protect this resource in the same way. I also require users to register - and actually to provide proof of their legitimate interest in the data I am providing; not only do I get useful feedback on the use made of the resource, I also have a minimum of information enabling me to trace abusers.

HTH

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 01:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
ASP glossary search... Mar 19, 2006

I do adopt MR. Giles Watson view...you can use ASP (Active Server Page) together with MS Access/SQL (I think you will need a web developer for such task). This way no one can download your glossary without your permission.

Kind regards

Ahamd Wadan

Senior Translator & Project Manager

www.arablish.com
Corporate Translation Solutions

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Valuable suggestions! Mar 20, 2006

Dear all

I've been reading your useful suggestions, and I really appreciate them.

Giles said:

I decided that the best thing would be to put the terms into an online database that could be updated with a simple adminstration program.

I think it's a great idea. In fact, I've already contacted a web developer to create a good Website for me, but I haven't started a serious negotiation. I'll ask them to create a similar database.

Olaf proposed

This might give others the idea that everything can be freely used. You may want to add a general copyright statement at the start page.

A somewhat sneaky low-tech solution would be to smuggle in one or two made-up entries and translations that look authentic to the non-expert but don't really exist.

And Parrot urged me
to put your name on the glossary page along with the Copyright.

Yes, you are both right. I accept that someone uses the data base but not to the point to copy it, create an excel file in order to get one month free membership. I will add my name and add the general copyright statement (and see if I can protect the glossary by some legal means).

According to Mediamatrix

Olaf's and Parrot's comments about copyright are fair enough from a 'legal' point of view but will do nothing whatsoever to stop mis-use of your glossary as it stands today.

Unfortunatedly, you are completely right.

And Amad supports Giles

do adopt MR. Giles Watson view

Yes, I'll have to do that! asap

Many thanks to all of you!

Clarisa

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some thoughts... Mar 20, 2006

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
The thing is: I do want to share my terminological data base. I mean, you need a term, you browse the Internet and get to my site.

I had the same thing with my lists (wine, motor and computer terminology). I would do a search for something and voila, here's my list... except its listed somewhere else with no attribution whatsoever.

You can add dummy words to your list so that you can do internet searches for it every year or so, to discover new locations (that's what many people including myself, do).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I protect my online glossary?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search