Internet on the road in the US
Thread poster: xxxsarahl
xxxsarahl
Local time: 14:27
English to French
+ ...
Apr 9, 2006

I will be traveling cross-country in a couple months and I have been wondering what my laptop needs to be able to access the Internet through hotspots. Do I need to activate something on my laptop or should I ask a techie to do that for me?

Any comments much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
German to English
Wireless card Apr 9, 2006

If you don't already have wireless capabilities on your laptop, you will need to buy a wireless card (about $40, usually less) or USB wireless receiver. Installation is generally "plug and play" if you're using XP.

To see whether you have a built-in wireless device, you'll need to go into the Windows Control Panel. I don't have my laptop handy to give you the exact location(s) to look, but under the "device manager" (System/Hardware) you should find the information you need, as well as under "network connections."

T-Mobile has a program that will allow you to access their hotspots around the US (for example at Borders Bookshops). See http://hotspot.t-mobile.com/
It is also possible to obtain "free" wireless access at non-chain coffee shops. Generally you need to obtain the password from the shop when you buy a cup of coffee or whatever.

Best to verify that you have the capability before going on the road.

Many public libraries also offer no cost wireless service.

Mireille K  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Travel with laptop Apr 9, 2006

I am traveling next week, my laptop has wireless connection, you can get connected anywhere, some charge you for that, Barnes & Noble in my area for ex.
Most newer model laptops have wireless. I always ask at any hotel I stay if they offer internet access. Don't forget the extra battery and the external memory too.
I will let you know when I come back in 2 weeks how it went for me, as I am traveling to the outer banks of North Carolina. Hopefully I won't have any problems accessing my e-mail.

Mireille

xxxsarahl
Local time: 14:27
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Infrared Apr 9, 2006

Thanks Kevin and maboumra

So I checked my laptop, and it turns out it's supposed to warn me when it detects infrared activity, play a sound and
display something in the taskbar. Of course I wasn't aware
of that as I always turn it off when I drive.

So, how does this work? If you just park by a hotspot you can access the net?

Maboumra, how does it work from the hotels? And why the extra battery if you're in a hotel room? Sorry for all the questions, I'm totally new at this.

Mireille K  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
The extra battery is for the car Apr 9, 2006

If you are parked somewhere (it happened to me) and your battery starts dying, they don't last too long, it is bad.
What mine does is: it looks for a network, and when it finds one it connects automatically, sometimes there is more than one, you choose the best connection.
Around colleges and universities you can always find a lot of networks that you can connect to. How old is your laptop?
mine is a Sony Vaio, 6 months old, with wireless connection.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Infrared not related to WiFi Apr 10, 2006

The infrared dectector is used to detect a wireless mouse or other remote device. That won't help you with a wireless connection.

The only way you can tell whether you have wireless capability (not necessarily a connection) is through the control panel as I explained in my previous message.

>If you just park by a hotspot you can access the net?<

It depends upon whether the hotspot has security enabled or not. In many, if not most, cases you will need a password. Coffee shops/hotels offering free wireless conections will provide you with the sign-in information upon request. Before taking your cross-country trip, please talk to a local techie to make sure you have wireless capability.

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:27
English to Russian
+ ...
Internet access in US hotels Apr 10, 2006

sarahl wrote:

I will be traveling cross-country in a couple months and I have been wondering what my laptop needs to be able to access the Internet through hotspots. Do I need to activate something on my laptop or should I ask a techie to do that for me?

Any comments much appreciated.

I have just returned after three months on the road with a Russian opera theater (50 US cities, believe it or not). The 2 and 3 stars hotels, with rare exception, all have free access to Internet, sometimes the signal is strong enough only in the lobby. In some cases you need to ask for User ID/Password at the reception. Beware of expensive hotels e.g. Hyatt - these will charge you $10 per day unless you bring your laptop to their business center for free access. Some hotels still have wired Internet in the rooms so remember to bring your cable and charge your battery nightly. Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet on the road in the US

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search