Thread poster: Sonja Allen

Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:17
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2006

My husband will soon be sent to Germany on business for some months and I do not want to stay behind in the UK during that time, so I thought about going with him and trying to work from there on my laptop. The problem I see is just how to be able to be online most of the time (for enquiries that come in by email, research, online dictionaries etc.) without having to pay a fortune. The hotel my husband will be in, is very expensive with regards to internet use and there does not seem to be any decent internet cafe around there either. So I was wondering if anyone of you knows a good internet solution that doesn't break the bank and doesn't require me to enter into any long-term contract.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:17
English to German
+ ...
Fon.com Nov 29, 2006

See http://de.fon.com/

Of course, everything will depend on whether there is someone with a WLAN located in the area you are planning to stay.

You can browse a map with Fon locations at http://maps.fon.com/

HTH.

Sonja

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
UMTS card Nov 29, 2006

Dear Sonja,

I am in this very situation myself. I got a broadband UMTS card from Vodafone, which allows quite a fast internet connection, though not really everywhere. But in any bigger town you'll probably get a good connection. If not, the card connects via GPRS, which is signifcantly slower, but you have connection virtually everywhere.
I have a flat rate (kind of) for approx. 50€/month, and I'm really happy with it.

Regards,
Erik

chinesetrans
Netherlands
English to Chinese
+ ...
GPRs Nov 30, 2006

In China, I subscribed the GPRs attached to my mobile. The connection is OK, approx 5Mbps. Really bravo.

LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
UMTS card maybe not such a good idea Dec 4, 2006

efreitag wrote:

I have a flat rate (kind of) for approx. 50€/month, and I'm really happy with it.

At first glance, UMTS card flat rates may look like an attractive proposition. To take advantage of it, though, you have to sign a 24 month contract. At least that's what it says on the Vodafone site. I doubt that Deutsche Telekom would give you a better deal.

I've been through this problem a number of times in different countries and have never really been able to come up with a good solution in a hotel. That is why I now prefer to rent a holiday flat rather than go to a hotel. It usually means I have to work with a dial-up connection, but at least it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

A kingdom for a good solution!

Volkmar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need a good internet solution while abroad

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search