Checking terminology with Google? Termprofile.com makes it more reliable
Thread poster: Anja Ruetten
Anja Ruetten
Anja Ruetten  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:24
Spanish to German
+ ...
Oct 12, 2007

Checking expressions with the help of a search engine is common practice. If, for example, you want to translate the German word „Bikinizone“ by the English "bikini zone". To make sure this is a real English expression, you „check“ it on Google: almost 65,000 hits! But what, if these hits mainly stem from non-native author? Termprofile.com helps to get the picture right free of charge, based on Google hits and the respective countries they come from:
1. You can search for up to th
... See more
Checking expressions with the help of a search engine is common practice. If, for example, you want to translate the German word „Bikinizone“ by the English "bikini zone". To make sure this is a real English expression, you „check“ it on Google: almost 65,000 hits! But what, if these hits mainly stem from non-native author? Termprofile.com helps to get the picture right free of charge, based on Google hits and the respective countries they come from:
1. You can search for up to three expressions in parallel and compare the hits at a glance (e. g. „bikini zone“, „bikini line“, „Bikinizone“).
2. Each of the queries can be done in up to three different countries. For English and Spanish, the most important countries are grouped together.
3. Using a „control term“ as a reference, you can calculate the relative frequency of a term in order to better compare hits from big and small countries.
I had this tool programmed for myself and offer it free of charge to colleagues who are interested. Feedback very welcome
Anja
Collapse

Dra Molnar
Dra Molnar  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Great! Oct 12, 2007

I was already wondering if a similar tool exists out there...thank you, Anja!
It would simplify my work, wouldn't it?

I'm very interested, what shall I do in order try it?

Anja Ruetten
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just go to termprofile.com Oct 12, 2007

D. Molnàr M.A. wrote:

I was already wondering if a similar tool exists out there...thank you, Anja!
It would simplify my work, wouldn't it?

I'm very interested, what shall I do in order try it?

It is as easy as going to termprofile.com and entering your search terms and maybe, for "advanced users", enter a very general term like "dog" in the respective language in the "control term" field. Under "info" on the menu you find more a detailed explanation of how it works. If there is anything you don't understand (I am not sure if I put it all very clearly), just let me know.
Best regards
Anja

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:24
English to Latvian
Great tool! Oct 12, 2007

Thank you, Anja, so much for recommending the termprofile.com! Few minutes after reading your post, I experienced such a situation while translating: which one of the terms in Latvian is a bit more correct than the other one? Google didn't help much. So I tried the termprofile.com, and that was it - the solution! Thanks again!

Cheers,
Evija

Mihaela Boteva
Mihaela Boteva  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:24
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Great tool! Oct 12, 2007

This is very helpful -- thank you, Anja!
It works pretty neat.

Cheers,
Michaela

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:24
Spanish to English
Thanks Oct 12, 2007

What a clever idea, I've already bookmarked it.

Lesley

Aurélie Charvet
Aurélie Charvet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Thank you very much! Oct 12, 2007

Another useful link in my bookmarks!

That's a real improvement!

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Looks VERY interesting Oct 12, 2007

Anja Ruetten wrote:

1. You can search for up to three expressions in parallel and compare the hits at a glance (e. g. „bikini zone“, „bikini line“, „Bikinizone“).
2. Each of the queries can be done in up to three different countries. For English and Spanish, the most important countries are grouped together.
3. Using a „control term“ as a reference, you can calculate the relative frequency of a term in order to better compare hits from big and small countries.
I had this tool programmed for myself and offer it free of charge to colleagues who are interested. Feedback very welcome
Anja

I do research into WWW alternatives to Google -- mostly down the corpus road -- and this seems interesting, so hopefully I'll get around to testing it soon:-)

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks Oct 13, 2007

That's very helpful. I just have added it to my favorites.

[Edited at 2007-10-13 05:41]

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
French to English
Thank you very much Oct 13, 2007

I just tried it. I was unsure of a translation as it seemed to me that the term was used on a lot of French sites, often ones that had not been translated by professional translators. It was a real relief to find that the term appears twice as often on UK pages as it does on French pages and far more often on pages belonging to all of the major English-speaking countries.

What a great tool!

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
Impressive! Oct 14, 2007

Excellent tool, hope you'll be able to deal with the data traffic in future.

Thanks!

Anja Ruetten
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replies! Oct 14, 2007

Thank you everybody for the positive replies. Good point, Marinus, mentioning the data traffic. Actually, I presented the tool last year on a conference in London (Translating and the Computer) and we discussed the matter. As I state in the "info" part of termprofile, Google limits the queries over its API to 1000 per day. Once we reach this limit, I will definitely have to find a better solutions. I have already been discussing this with a representative of another search engine, they might als... See more
Thank you everybody for the positive replies. Good point, Marinus, mentioning the data traffic. Actually, I presented the tool last year on a conference in London (Translating and the Computer) and we discussed the matter. As I state in the "info" part of termprofile, Google limits the queries over its API to 1000 per day. Once we reach this limit, I will definitely have to find a better solutions. I have already been discussing this with a representative of another search engine, they might also be interested to cooperate ... Anyway, any suggestion is very welcome!

Best regards
Anja
Collapse

Violeta Leon Herrero
Violeta Leon Herrero
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
absolute vs. relative Oct 17, 2007

Hi Anja, I find your tool very useful. But I would like to ask you a question. Probably is clear enough, but I haven't quit understood this:

I understand why the absolute results cannot be fully reliable, so then, when it come to relative frequency, i don't know how to interprete it. Let's write an example:

absolute relative

germany 153 1:50131

austria
... See more
Hi Anja, I find your tool very useful. But I would like to ask you a question. Probably is clear enough, but I haven't quit understood this:

I understand why the absolute results cannot be fully reliable, so then, when it come to relative frequency, i don't know how to interprete it. Let's write an example:

absolute relative

austria 9 1:87667

(the example in your site)

in the absolute seems that in germany it appears more often.

in the relative... how am i supose to interprete those results? it appears one time every 50,000 time the control word? so still appears more often in germany, but not with such a great difference, right? well, i'm sure is very easy to understand, and once i get use to it i'll recognise it at a glance.

Just want to be sure so i use right this very usefull tool.

grüsse

lila

[Edited at 2007-10-17 08:33]
Collapse

Anja Ruetten
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
relative frecuency - you are absolutely right Oct 18, 2007

Hi Lila,

you got it absolutely right! I am glad you like it.

Best
Anja

"c
lila82 wrote:

absolute relative

austria 9 1:87667

(the example in your site)

in the absolute seems that in germany it appears more often.

in the relative... how am i supose to interprete those results? it appears one time every 50,000 time the control word? so still appears more often in germany, but not with such a great difference, right? well, i'm sure is very easy to understand, and once i get use to it i'll recognise it at a glance.

Just want to be sure so i use right this very usefull tool.

grüsse

lila

[Edited at 2007-10-17 08:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Checking terminology with Google? Termprofile.com makes it more reliable

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »