Need help to take DPSI exam in law next June
Thread poster: beatrycze422
beatrycze422
beatrycze422
Polish to English
Oct 10, 2008

Hi,

I need some help please. I am thinking of taking a DPSI exam next June, the law option. I have been doing interpreting and translation for my local Police since January 2007. I have taken a preparation course in open university to help me with the preparation. Unfortunately I found it all extremely difficult. As far as I can see the level of the exam/ preparation course is set up very high. I haven’t got any law degree from Poland. I have master degree in Economics from Poland
... See more
Hi,

I need some help please. I am thinking of taking a DPSI exam next June, the law option. I have been doing interpreting and translation for my local Police since January 2007. I have taken a preparation course in open university to help me with the preparation. Unfortunately I found it all extremely difficult. As far as I can see the level of the exam/ preparation course is set up very high. I haven’t got any law degree from Poland. I have master degree in Economics from Poland and have never had much to do with any law studies in my own language. Should I have any law degree before I consider taking the law option with DPSI? I know that it would of course be helpful to have it but if I don’t, then I have no chances of passing it? I have got a lot of reading materials from the Open University, I have got quite a lot of new words and law terminology in my note book but I still keep failing on every assignment! Is the DPSI exam really very difficult? What other option I may have if I don’t want to do interpreting for courts just for the Police? Are there any other exams? I have looked at Met Police at first but it seemed to be very difficult… Maybe I am wrong? Please help. I am ready to give it all up.. I have spent so much time and made such an afford to study and still feel I am not ready at all… Thank you.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-10 16:44]
Collapse

Joanna Gałecka
Joanna Gałecka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:00
English to Polish
+ ...
A little help Oct 30, 2008

You can enrol on a course that will prepare you for the exam. I never took the course nor tried to pass the exam but have a look here, maybe this will help you: http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/110209-dpsi_in_scotland.html

I don't know where you are from (London?) but I do medical interpreting most of the time - you could maybe look into that. From wh
... See more
You can enrol on a course that will prepare you for the exam. I never took the course nor tried to pass the exam but have a look here, maybe this will help you: http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/110209-dpsi_in_scotland.html

I don't know where you are from (London?) but I do medical interpreting most of the time - you could maybe look into that. From what I have seen the kind of jobs you receive will depend on the agencies you work for. It is increasingly more difficult to work for the courts (and the police, I think) if you don't have the DPSI but as far as hospitals and medical practices are concerned they don't mind what qualification you have, which is yet another plus (from my point of view at least). Here in Glasgow the City Council has a contract with the NHS and private agencies with the police or courts.

Also, if you find coping with terminology hard, you maybe need more practice outside your assignments, in a less stressful environment. Maybe finding a fellow interpreter you could practice with (on?) would help?

Interpreting is a difficult job and can be very stressful, especially in formal situations like court hearings, that's why preparation is so important. Have a look here:

http://interpreters.free.fr/index.htm

This is a website for conference interpreters but there are some valuable tips and ideas you can use in mastering the necessary skills.

Hope this helps. All the best!

Asia
Collapse

kissingsky
kissingsky
Local time: 04:00
English to Punjabi
Interpretation in Health sector Nov 4, 2008

Dear Joanna,

I have read your response with reference to DPSI qualification.I am also interpreter mostly working in law firms and community centres.I have got no certification in interpretation.I never worked in Health sector.It will be a great favour on your part if you tell me how to capture jobs in this sector.Although i heard they dont pay u much as compared to legal sector.

Thanks
Tarique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help to take DPSI exam in law next June

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »