Hi, guys !help me please select topic for my diploma work!
Thread poster: Gularai
Gularai
Gularai
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 21, 2008

Hi dear friends! My name is Gularai, I am future interpreter and study on the last course .Help me please select good topic for my diploma! My supervisor suggest me this topic: problems of scientific and technical texts translation. I like that one ,but I am not sure about my self, because this topic need good scientific research and good interpreting skill and experience (which I haven’t yet). If this topic rather good may be you know where I can get information , and if it possible “s... See more
Hi dear friends! My name is Gularai, I am future interpreter and study on the last course .Help me please select good topic for my diploma! My supervisor suggest me this topic: problems of scientific and technical texts translation. I like that one ,but I am not sure about my self, because this topic need good scientific research and good interpreting skill and experience (which I haven’t yet). If this topic rather good may be you know where I can get information , and if it possible “spot diploma” .Or give me peace of advice about another topicsCollapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:34
English to German
+ ...
Negotiating rates and conditions Nov 21, 2008

Hi Gularai,

I think this topic would be much more helpful for your professional live..

You can find information about it in the article knowledgbases of this site as well as of other translator/interpreter sites.

Good speed,

Harry

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:34
Russian to English
+ ...
Vocabulary adaptation Nov 21, 2008

You don't indicate what other languages are in your interpreting assignments. (Interpreting, by definition, requires two languages.) But let's say it's Kazakh and English. Let's say the subject under discussion is nuclear reactors. The number of Kazakh-English, English-Kazakh dictionaries about nuclear reactors is rather limited (if there are any at all). In addition, many older Kazakh engineers learned about nuclear reactors during Soviet times (and probably learned about them in Russian). So h... See more
You don't indicate what other languages are in your interpreting assignments. (Interpreting, by definition, requires two languages.) But let's say it's Kazakh and English. Let's say the subject under discussion is nuclear reactors. The number of Kazakh-English, English-Kazakh dictionaries about nuclear reactors is rather limited (if there are any at all). In addition, many older Kazakh engineers learned about nuclear reactors during Soviet times (and probably learned about them in Russian). So how do you come up with Kazakh terms for the various parts of a nuclear reactor? Do you "Kazakhasize" Russian terms? Do you "Kazakhasize" English terms? You may have acquaintances working in some specialized field in Kazakhstan. Why not set up appointments with them and pick their brains? You can also ask them whether they've ever had to use interpreting services and what they didn't like about the interpreters they've used.Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Decisions in international relations... Nov 21, 2008

...and how their terminology has an influence in your target language. I mean global dealings like the Kyoto treaty, G20 decisions, EU regulations, region-wide trade agreements, etc.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A very interesting one! Nov 21, 2008

Paul Merriam wrote:
So how do you come up with Kazakh terms for the various parts of a nuclear reactor? Do you "Kazakhasize" Russian terms? Do you "Kazakhasize" English terms?

Indeed, a very nice topic.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 16:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Strictly interpreting topics. Nov 21, 2008

Since it's about interpreting, and not translating, how about strictly interpreting topics, such as:

* Memorization technics for consecutive interpreting;

* Ways of dealing with multiple numbers in simultaneous interpreting;

* The importance of advance preparation in conference interpreting;

Et cetera.

Or maybe you should do this: ask fellow interpreters (on this forum, if you wish) what is the greatest challenge of their professi
... See more
Since it's about interpreting, and not translating, how about strictly interpreting topics, such as:

* Memorization technics for consecutive interpreting;

* Ways of dealing with multiple numbers in simultaneous interpreting;

* The importance of advance preparation in conference interpreting;

Et cetera.

Or maybe you should do this: ask fellow interpreters (on this forum, if you wish) what is the greatest challenge of their profession - and make that challenge your topic.

Good luck!
Collapse

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:34
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Some Ideas Nov 21, 2008

How about some topical ideas such as:

- The current interpretating environment in Kazakhistan
- Interpretation problems in Kazakhistan
- The effect of Kazakh switching to a Latin Alphabet and Interpretation
- The role of the Kazakh interpreter
- Job opportunities for Kazakh interpreters in Kazakhistan and overseas
- Other relevent topics in Kazakhistan for translation and interpreting, this is an opportunity for you to blaze new research in a relatively
... See more
How about some topical ideas such as:

- The current interpretating environment in Kazakhistan
- Interpretation problems in Kazakhistan
- The effect of Kazakh switching to a Latin Alphabet and Interpretation
- The role of the Kazakh interpreter
- Job opportunities for Kazakh interpreters in Kazakhistan and overseas
- Other relevent topics in Kazakhistan for translation and interpreting, this is an opportunity for you to blaze new research in a relatively new linguistic Area!

You can find resources I am sure from Magazines, books etc. in Kazakhistan. You should adapt if for the English market also since there is much English information available regarding interpreting, linguistics etc. from Kazakhistan in the West.
Collapse

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
idea Nov 21, 2008

Use of the appropriate register in bilingual communication.

Gularai
Gularai
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great!!!!!You are so sympathetic! Nov 25, 2008

Hi guys and thanks a lot! For me really helpful you’re peace of advice, and it is pleasant that you are so sympathetic !And Harry Bornemann, Paul Merriam, Melzie, Alp Berker, Alexandra Goldburd, Tomas Cano Binder -friends nice to meet you! I should add some information, I am interpreter of two language (English-Russian)and also can translate into Kazakh l-ge!I very like idea about "how can we translate English terminology into Kazakh, it is very interesting ,but not develop yet (i mean di... See more
Hi guys and thanks a lot! For me really helpful you’re peace of advice, and it is pleasant that you are so sympathetic !And Harry Bornemann, Paul Merriam, Melzie, Alp Berker, Alexandra Goldburd, Tomas Cano Binder -friends nice to meet you! I should add some information, I am interpreter of two language (English-Russian)and also can translate into Kazakh l-ge!I very like idea about "how can we translate English terminology into Kazakh, it is very interesting ,but not develop yet (i mean dictionaries and textbooks)in our country. May be because our country is young one. Friends I decide that topic : problems of scientific and technical texts translation is rather nice !and based for my diploma will be electric direction, i have experience in that one! Question is: How should it started? and what main idea could be? Please forgive me,it seems that i made some grammatical mistakes /Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hi, guys !help me please select topic for my diploma work!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »