LindseyH
LindseyH
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:56
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2009

Hello,

I am considering applying for NRPSI membership and I was wondering how other interpreters, that graduated/qualified after the NRPSI was set up, managed to obtain the 400 hours interpreting experience necessary to upgrade to full memberhip. As I understand it the police and courts etc are only able to use interpreters who are full members of the NRPSI? Ift his is the case then how is it possible to gain sufficient experience to become a full member?

Thanks for yo
... See more
Hello,

I am considering applying for NRPSI membership and I was wondering how other interpreters, that graduated/qualified after the NRPSI was set up, managed to obtain the 400 hours interpreting experience necessary to upgrade to full memberhip. As I understand it the police and courts etc are only able to use interpreters who are full members of the NRPSI? Ift his is the case then how is it possible to gain sufficient experience to become a full member?

Thanks for your help in this matter
Collapse

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
Interim status Jan 23, 2009

Hi Lindsey,

Apply for an interim status, get on the register and then you have 3 years to upgrade to the full status. Read the NRPSI rules carefully, it is all there.

Hope it helps.

Kasia

LindseyH
LindseyH
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Interim status Jan 23, 2009

Thanks for replying.

Ok, but does that then mean that you are then able to work for the courts, police etc?

Glori
Glori
English to Spanish
NRPSI Jan 23, 2009

Yes; although your registration will be described as Interim (as opposed to Full Member), in practise most service providers do not know the difference and are too busy to look into it in any case. As long as you are in the National Register they assume you have the appropriate qualifications, so you may well be called to go to Court or Police Stations.
You could also register with agencies, although the rates of pay may sound like a joke, just to get more hours.

LindseyH
LindseyH
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 23, 2009

Brilliant, thanks for that. I was beginning to think I was trapped in a 'chicken or the egg' scenario.

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
Agencies Jan 24, 2009

Glori wrote:

"You could also register with agencies, although the rates of pay may sound like a joke, just to get more hours."

By all means register with the agencies but in your own interest charge them the normal court/police rates or more (agencies are less reliable payers than court and police).

The rate
... See more
Glori wrote:

"You could also register with agencies, although the rates of pay may sound like a joke, just to get more hours."

By all means register with the agencies but in your own interest charge them the normal court/police rates or more (agencies are less reliable payers than court and police).

The rates are available on http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/docs/infoabout/interpreters/Interpreters-Standardised-FTFI-Terms-Conditions-(CJS).pdf

Kasia
Collapse

Kati Bumbera
Kati Bumbera  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:56
Hungarian to English
+ ...
It depends on your language pair as well Feb 17, 2009

Hi - a couple of things:

Yes, you can register and can work whilst in "interim" status, however the amount of work you'll actually get will vary significantly depending on your language(s). As a newly registered Spanish interpreter I seem to be getting diddly squat (too many other people?) maybe you'll have better luck with Russian?

Not all public service organisations subscribe to the NRPSI, some have contracts with agencies and others have their own "lists" of supplie
... See more
Hi - a couple of things:

Yes, you can register and can work whilst in "interim" status, however the amount of work you'll actually get will vary significantly depending on your language(s). As a newly registered Spanish interpreter I seem to be getting diddly squat (too many other people?) maybe you'll have better luck with Russian?

Not all public service organisations subscribe to the NRPSI, some have contracts with agencies and others have their own "lists" of suppliers complete with their own examinations and recruiting processes - I'm still trying to get my head around that one but it seems like the NRPSI is not the be all and end all for public service work, although they are probably the most important source of work so it's a good idea to register anyway.

Agencies - it's true that rates are generally very low and contrary to what Kasiak is saying I've never come across a single one where the rates were negotiable. Usually they tell you what they pay and you take it or leave it. On the plus side they do offer work quite regularly so it's a good way to start collecting those 400 hours. I think the limit is five years, not three as somebody said above.

Another good way to increase your work experience is to volunteer. I get some of my best jobs through volunteering - and seeing what the agencies pay you aren't much worse off with working for free either. /
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NRPSI - Experience Issue

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »