Thread poster: Lynda Tharratt

Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:18
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2009

Hello everybody,

I have been asked to present a section on interpreting in quasi-legal settings for an interpreter training program. I have my own resources and my experience in this area but I was wondering if anyone knew of any resources available that I could print out for the class. For example: cases in which an error in interpreting during a hearing, examination for discovery, etc. led to unfavourable circumstances, practice sheets, lists of English vocabulary, exercises and similar resources.

I appreciate any help I could get from the community.

Direct link Reply with quote

teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Acebo Jun 5, 2009

Hi Lynda, I've been involved for years in court interpreter training. We use the Acebo materials. The basic book is The Interpreter's Edge, it comes with CDs so you can practice. It's divided in three sections, each one devoted to a different mode of interpretation with a glossary of terms in Spanish and English at the end of each section.
For additional material for exercises, we used anything, from newspaper articles to documents found on the web, with the names crossed out to protect their identity.
As far as errors during interpreting, I'm sure there are lots of examples you can find on the forum, the ATA or NAJIT websites.
Good luck!
Forgot to mention you can order the Acebo materials at acebo.com

[Edited at 2009-06-05 15:06 GMT]

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks teju Jun 6, 2009

Acebo sounds like a good course, but the company I'm working for has their own course and I'm just presenting a section of it (just a one-day workshop), so purchasing materials is out of the question.
Before posting, I looked at both the ATA and NAJIT websites and there are plenty of articles but I really didn't find what I wanted. I was hoping to find some materials that I could print out and hand out to the class rather than trying to develop my own materials, which is a more time-consuming option

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with information, enjoy your weekend!

best regards,
Lynda

teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Jun 6, 2009

In case the link below does not work, go to the menu bar on the ProZ Home page, in the pull down menu select Community, then click on Forums. You'll get a small search box, type in "interpreting error", that will take you to the advance search, where you can select English as the language, and "interpreting" to narrow down the search. And voila! You'll see lots of postings about interpreting mistakes.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

As far as material to hand out to students, you haven't been able to find anything on the web? For sight and simultaneous exercises, you can use just about anything. Finding dialogues for consecutive is a bit harder.

For vocabulary, I did a quick search on google. Go to advance search and type Spanish legal glossary and you'll find lots of links to develop your own list. Here are a few:

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/interpreter/glossary2.pdf
http://ernestoromero.net/LS.pdf
#
English-Spanish Dictionary - HUD
English-Spanish Dictionary .... Legal resident, Residente legal. Legal resident card, Tarjeta de residente legal. Lender, Entidad crediticia ...
www.hud.gov/buying/terms_eng-sp.cfm - Cached - Similar pages
#
Superior Court of California - County of Sacramento
General information, jury services, online services, fees, forms, local rules, tentative rulings, small claims e-filing.
www.saccourt.ca.gov/ - Cached - Similar pages
# [PDF]
Glossary of Legal and Related Terms and Courthouse Signs English ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
GLOSSARY OF. LEGAL (AND RELATED) TERMS. AND. COURTHOUSE SIGNS. ENGLISH/SPANISH. Language Services Section. Special Programs Unit ...
www.judiciary.state.nj.us/interpreters/glossary2.pdf - Similar pages
#
Glossary Spanish Legal Terms
Feb 5, 2008 ... Glossary Spanish Legal Terms1 Latinos Unidos Pilot Study Project2 Appeal(v.) Apelar Appeal (n.) Apelación Aggravated felony Delito con ...
www.docstoc.com/docs/356270/Glossary-Spanish-Legal-Terms - Cached - Similar pages

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks again teju Jun 6, 2009

Thank you once again for your excellent links. However, perhaps I didn't explain myself very well in my original post. I have done a lot of the searches you have mentioned before posting, including here in the Proz forums. I am only presenting the section on "quasi-legal situations". Any of the searches that I have performed have given me plenty of examples of interpreter errors in a medical setting but this kind of information will be presented to the interpreters in a different section of the course. I really need to find something specific to settings such as examinations for discovery, pre-trial conferences, hearings etc. Students will be receiving dialogues for practicing consecutive and simultaneous interpreting as well as sight translation throughout the course. I posted on the off-chance that someone might have some subject-specific materials (or links to them) that could be copied and used in the class.
I will continue searching for information and hope that I can come up with something, otherwise I will have to amuse them with witty anecdotes from my experience in this area

All the best, enjoy your weekend!

Lynda

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I should add... Jun 6, 2009

This is not a language-specific course. The interpreters in the class speak a variety of languages so only a glossary of English words is required. I should have no trouble finding this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for resources for training session on quasi-legal situations

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search