Thread poster: Svetlana Nash
Svetlana Nash
United States
Local time: 02:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 16, 2009

Hello!

I'm looking into the certification process for healthcare interpreters in California and the more I'm reading, the more confused I get. Where should I begin? Can anyone advise me on where to start?
Ideally I'm looking for a training program and then getting certified. At least that was the plan before I started looking more into the matter. Can I just go and take a certification test without formal training??? Please help!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Svetlana Nash
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No one can help? Jun 17, 2009

I am sure there are experienced medical interpreters from California on this forum. The language pair doesn't matter (I'm looking to get certified for English-Russian) since the procedure should be the same. Please, any kind of help is appreciated.

Christina Courtright  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
contact the California Health Care Interpreters Association Jun 17, 2009

http://www.interpreterschia.org/index.htm

I don't know the answer to your question, but if anyone would know, it would be this association.

Svetlana Nash
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the link! Jun 17, 2009

Still not clear about the certification procedure. I guess I'd have to contact them to find out more information. Thank you again!

Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
Late answer Aug 29, 2009

Hi, Svetlana,

Somehow I missed you question before.

As far as I know, there is no medical certification in English-Russian pair in California at the present time. In fact, I don't know of such certification in any language at the present. There used to be a Medical Certification exam in English - Spanish pair in California, but it has not been given for about two years, and there are no plans to resume giving it.

Which leaves you with only one option to become certified: that is, get a court certification. You might think "but it doesn't make sense, what I want is to work in the hospitals, not in the court!" - and you will be right, but that's the way it is.

Eventually, the situation has to change. If the law mandates hospitals to provide interpreters, then it logically follows that some sort of certification must exist. And eventually, it will exist - except, if I were you, I wouldn't wait for that "eventually" and just take the court exam.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Russian court certification.

Good luck!

Svetlana Nash
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 30, 2009

Thank you Alexandra! I appreciate your help!

liviu roth
United States
Local time: 05:59
Romanian to English
+ ...
Bridging the Gap medical interpreter Sep 1, 2009

In order to become a medical interpreter, you can check "bridging the gap medical interpreter" and find out if California has such a program; from what i heard, each state has such a program.
good luck!

Svetlana Nash
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 1, 2009

lee roth wrote:

In order to become a medical interpreter, you can check "bridging the gap medical interpreter" and find out if California has such a program; from what i heard, each state has such a program.
good luck!

Thank you for sharing information!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Healthcare Interpreter Certification in California

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search