Thread poster: Rod Novillo

Rod Novillo
United States
Local time: 10:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 30, 2009

EXAMPLE OF ENTRIES:
1203.4 PC MOTION – Request to take back guilty plea or set aside a guilty verdict, and
dismiss the accusations or information. (Made after probation has either terminated or
defendant was discharged from probation prior to termination.)
MOCIÓN CP 1203.4 – Solicitud para retractar un alegato de culpabilidad o revocar un
veredicto de culpabilidad, y rechazar las acusaciones o la información. (Hecho después
de que la libertad condicional ha sido terminada o la libertad condicional ha sido anulada
previo a su conclusión)
170.6 PC MOTION – Request to disqualify the assigned judge from hearing a matter.
MOCIÓN CP 170.6 – Solicitud para descalificar al juez asignado para conocer un caso.
ABDUCTION – The offense of taking away a wife, child, or ward, by deceitful
persuasion, force, or violence.
SECUESTRO – El delito de llevarse a una esposa, hijo, o pupilo, por engaño persuasivo,
a la fuerza o con violencia.
ABROGATE – To repeal or cancel an old law using another law or constitutional power.
ABROGAR – Revocar o cancelar una ley antigua usando otra ley o poder constitucional.

FOR ALL ENTIRES IN 212 PAGES:

http://transart007.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/212-pages-of-cali-spaneng-legal-glossary/

[Edited at 2009-10-30 15:27 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:05
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Pro translate... Oct 30, 2009

But may I suggest you contribute such links directly to the collection of glossaries?

http://www.proz.com/glosspost

Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
Motion - "moción"? Oct 30, 2009

As I recall, both Nestor Wagner of Southern California School of Interpretation and Holly Mikkelson, author of "Interpreters Edge" series, translate it as "pedimento".

But I might be suffering from a case of "falsus congnatus agudus..."

Rod Novillo
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
True, there is controversy behind the standardized term behind MOTION Oct 30, 2009

If we translate Motion to Pedimento, then what do we do with Petition ? There in lies the conundrum. Another interesting one is what to do with exhibits and evidence. Pruebas is the standard for both, but some states will use evidencia.... it gets tricky when both terms are used together like.... " we'd like to present the evidence for case blah blah.... from the first set of exhibits marked blah blah....." But anyway.... If you take into account that the revision of this glossary was in 2006 and created by the state, then you can say it has room for revision and critique. Also, within the Interpreters' collective consciousness if you will, there are trends and phases in which certain things are no longer used, and new customs acquired. My question to the term at hand would be as already stated ---> what then do we do with petition ? Do we treat it the same as motion ? In my opinion, motion still carries the necessary rhetoric behind what empowers people and attorneys to prosecute and defend, if we just leave it aside and supplement it across the board with a submissive petition. I would even go as far to say that even pedimento could be petición instead in its verb form. You look up moción in its second definition: petición, sugestión, propuesta, sugerencia, inspiración. you look at petición: solicitud, demanda,ruego, reclamación, instancia, imploración, exigencia, pedido, moción. also... what about if you filed for a 170.6 DECLARATION OF PREJUDICE CCP 170.6. (PEREMPTORY CHALLENGE)

Filing a challenge would be better suited as a motion and not a petition... a motion to exercise constitutional rights and NOT to 'pedir' or ask to exercise them.

So.... interesting topics.....

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

As I recall, both Nestor Wagner of Southern California School of Interpretation and Holly Mikkelson, author of "Interpreters Edge" series, translate it as "pedimento".

But I might be suffering from a case of "falsus congnatus agudus..."

Rod Novillo
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What do we do when we file for a challange ? Oct 30, 2009

Like motion to suppress evidence seized without warrant, or motion for peremptory challenge
--- >

Do we file a motion or a petition ??

Indeed it seems like a motion is in place, however, nowadays, if we investigate its translated terminology in Spanish for example, the normalized term standardizes the term to just petition.

Rod Novillo
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another 'sticky' term is case Oct 30, 2009

what is it ? caso or causa ?? Most like using causa nowadays. But you see it as caso all the time.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Original source and xls Oct 31, 2009

Thanks for sharing!

Just to get away from the decidedly weird setup of going to a transart page just to get a skydrive link, here's the original site:

http://www.saccourt.ca.gov/general/legal-glossaries/legal-glossaries.aspx

It also has a few other languages and an English monolingual glossary. (Edit: the monolingual version seems to be the exact same glossary just without the Spanish, so don't bother with it.)

I converted the English-Spanish deal to XLS to make it more user (and terminology software) friendly. I'm sure there are a few errors here and there but it's 99%+ good. I also got rid of the annoying ALL CAPS.
Here it is, for your importing pleasure: http://www.mediafire.com/?imzxommrwvd

[Edited at 2009-10-31 13:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-31 13:21 GMT]

Rod Novillo
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I appreciate your input... Oct 31, 2009

Dear Farkas, one reason I set up the link in that order is so that people could leave comments through the blog, also so that they could have a chance to browse through other pertinent content for Interpreting. I understand that you just want the information, however I beseech you to keep in mind the reasoning behind the structure. Searching, finding, and providing such information to people is gratuitous and all I expect from it is --namely an opportunity for them to be able to contact me personally. Lastly, you are welcome.

FarkasAndras wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

Just to get away from the decidedly weird setup of going to a transart page just to get a skydrive link, here's the original site:

http://www.saccourt.ca.gov/general/legal-glossaries/legal-glossaries.aspx

It also has a few other languages and an English monolingual glossary. (Edit: the monolingual version seems to be the exact same glossary just without the Spanish, so don't bother with it.)

I converted the English-Spanish deal to XLS to make it more user (and terminology software) friendly. I'm sure there are a few errors here and there but it's 99%+ good. I also got rid of the annoying ALL CAPS.
Here it is, for your importing pleasure: http://www.mediafire.com/?imzxommrwvd

[Edited at 2009-10-31 13:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-31 13:21 GMT]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Pro Translate Oct 31, 2009

However, I'd like to remind folks thatg this rule exists: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/9#9

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wouldn't this be more appropriate for the Kudoz section? Nov 7, 2009

Isn't there a rule against posting discussions like this outside of the "Kudoz" section?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Legal Interpreting Glossary Yet ! English / Spanish

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search