How to study to be a California Certified Court interpreter?
Thread poster: Hana Lee

Hana Lee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:42
Member (2009)
Korean to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2009

Hello,

I have been interested in preparing for a certified California court interpreter. I believe many, at least some, of the proz.com members are already certified court interpreters by California. As per browsing the Internet, I found this link. (http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/programs/courtinterpreters/) The exam consists of two tests, written and oral.

What I am concerned now is the written test, which looks more like TOEFL or GRE to me and makes me think the study pattern could be similar to these standardized English tests. The link above suggests some study materials but they are very extensive so that I wonder where to start. Reading a lot and studying vacabulary will be a great help, but if possible, I would like to hear any advice who has experiences.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2009-12-07 20:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-12-07 22:56 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
California Judicial Council Dec 7, 2009

Greetings.

That website mentioned in your note seems to have been deactivated or removed.

Best I understand, the California Judicial Council (CJC) is the recognized principal authority for administering tests and resultant certification of interpreters for court purposes. Such CJC certification customarily conveys and is accredited across most jurisdictions in the state of California. Those scheduled CJC tests are not simple or cheap.

While each regional jurisdiction can use alternate methods (resume evaluations, panel interviews, performance tests on prescribed scenarios, etc. or otherwise) to accept and certify interpreter applicants for support of courts within its own jurisdiction, those local certifications normally are not recognized or accredited by other jurisdictions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic
San Pedro, California

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:42
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not quite Dec 7, 2009

Stephen Franke wrote:

That website mentioned in your note seems to have been deactivated or removed.

When you click the link and the 404 error appears, you have to remove the parenthesis at the end.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
English Dec 7, 2009

Judging from your writing, your English needs a lot of improvement, and that's the first thing you need to work on.

Rod Novillo
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
There are resources out there, yet some of them are hard to find. Dec 7, 2009

I have been studying for the written and oral for a while now. I have posted many resources that are free-ware at http://transart.biz under the resources tab. Hope it helps.

Hana Lee wrote:

Hello,

I have been interested in preparing for a certified California court interpreter. I believe many, at least some, of the proz.com members are already certified court interpreters by California. As per browsing the Internet, I found this link. (http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/programs/courtinterpreters/) The exam consists of two tests, written and oral.

What I am concerned now is the written test, which is more of TOEFL or GRE to me and makes me think the study pattern may be similar to these standardized English tests. The link above suggests some study materials but they are very extensive so that I wonder where to start. Reading a lot and studying vacabulary will be a great help, but if possible, I would like to hear any advice who has experiences.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2009-12-07 20:48 GMT]

United States
Member (2009)
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link modified Dec 7, 2009

Hello,

I have modified the link. Anyways, I appreciate your comment. There are classes for test prep, but I am not in a position to take any of them. Just wanted to see what will be an effective way to self-study.

Thanks~

FarkasAndras
Local time: 00:42
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Glossary Dec 7, 2009

A couple of weeks ago some legal glossaries came up on the forum. They were made for court interpreters at the Superior Court of California, Sacramento County. I imagine they cover the specifically Californian legal terminology like "1203.4 PC Motion" reasonably well.

They have a bunch of Asian languages, just not Korean... oh well, at least they contain a term list and English definitions.

http://www.saccourt.ca.gov/general/legal-glossaries/legal-glossaries.aspx

Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
Improving English by means of classes in community college Dec 8, 2009

Hello, Hana,

You mentioned in your post "reading a lot". Reading is, indeed, one of the best things you can do to bring you English to a very high level, but some people find it's not enough for them.

If this is the case, than consider taking classes in a local community college. In spite of California budget crises and fee increases, they are still affordable. You might consider such classes as English Grammar, English Literature, or even Creative Writing. I think it will help you greatly.

Good luck in this endeavor! It will be a long road, but ultimately a rewarding one. And by the way, Korean interpreters are in demand in California. Maybe not as much as Spanish language interpreters, but in demand nevertheless.

United States
Member (2009)
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Dec 8, 2009

who replied my posting with information and advice!

As I am moving to another state and have to spend time by myself for a year, I thought I would be able to concentrate on studying for the exam. Some say I need to improve my English, and I will take it as advice. Maybe there lies a long way to go, but I think translation or interpretation is a career that requires a continuous study as long as one pursues the career. That is why I like this career.

Thank you again, and I hope you all have a great holiday season!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to study to be a California Certified Court interpreter?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search