Questionnaire: Diploma in Public Service Interpreting
Thread poster: Beth Skinner
Beth Skinner
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:15
German to English
Feb 10, 2010

Hi,

I am currently taking a seminar about training and research for community interpreting as part of my Masters course at the University of Mainz. My paper for the seminar concerns the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting offered by the Chartered Institute of Linguists and I would very much like to hear the experiences of people who have taken the exam or taken part in the preparation course.

I would be very grateful if anyone who has experience with the DPSI could take the time to answer a few short questions or share any other comments they might have about the programme.
Thanks
Beth

1. What were your objectives when deciding to take the exam for the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting?
2. How did you like the curriculum and the exam system?
3. Did the DPSI help in creating any new opportunities for you and your career?
4. In your opinion, is the DPSI useful for improving your professional qualifications?
5. Do you think the structure of the course could be improved? If so, how?
6. Had you already completed interpreter training before starting the DPSI? If yes, what did the DPSI offer that your previous training did not?

Direct link Reply with quote

Harsha Gohil  Identity Verified
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Passed DPSI in 2009 Feb 11, 2010

Hello Beth
I passed my DPSI in English to Gujarati in English Law Option in 2009 (all sections) and so would like to say the following to your questions:
1. My objectives were to have internationally recognised qualification and be a qualified interpreter/translator.
2. The curriculum had no structure. Generally, we practised past exam papers.
3. I do get a lot more offers for jobs now than I did when I was not qualified but a lot of agencies do take into account your experience, too.
4. Yes, I think it is.
5. As there was no structure to the course, it would be very useful to be able to follow a certain guidance.
6. I had completed Introduction to Public Service Interpreting course at my local college prior to DPSI which was very useful for all the background information.
DPSI gave me a recognised qualification which IPSI did not.

I hope this helps!

Beth Skinner
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 13, 2010

Hi Harsha,

Thanks for your answers, they are a great help!
Beth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questionnaire: Diploma in Public Service Interpreting

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search