Help with a research on telephone interpreting
Thread poster: Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Jun 17, 2010

Hi colleagues:
I am studying interpretation and I am doing a research on telephone interpreting. I would really appreciate if you could answer these questions in case you work as a telephone interpreter or you have information about this field. (I need this back by July, 1st. Please, send me your answers to [email protected] ).

1. Which are the tools (hardware or software) required to pr
... See more
Hi colleagues:
I am studying interpretation and I am doing a research on telephone interpreting. I would really appreciate if you could answer these questions in case you work as a telephone interpreter or you have information about this field. (I need this back by July, 1st. Please, send me your answers to [email protected] ).

1. Which are the tools (hardware or software) required to provide telephone interpreting?
2. Which are the disadvantages/advantages of telephone interpreting for the interpreter?
3. In which situations is this service required?
4. Do you charge per hour, day, individual projects, etc?

Thank you so much in advance,

Luciana Lovatto
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 11:17
Romanian to English
+ ...
Hi Luciana, Jun 17, 2010

I do OPIs (over-the phone interpreting) and here are the short answers to your questions:
1. A good landlines telephone (try to avoid cell phones or wireless), a head set is a plus.
2. Adv.: stay at home, and work in your pajamas (or naked as it happened today when I got an important call while taking a shower...)
Disadv: A lot of background noise, you don't see the mimic or body motion of the talkers
Some agencies ask you to sign-in, therefore you must be glued to
... See more
I do OPIs (over-the phone interpreting) and here are the short answers to your questions:
1. A good landlines telephone (try to avoid cell phones or wireless), a head set is a plus.
2. Adv.: stay at home, and work in your pajamas (or naked as it happened today when I got an important call while taking a shower...)
Disadv: A lot of background noise, you don't see the mimic or body motion of the talkers
Some agencies ask you to sign-in, therefore you must be glued to the phone.
3. Most social services (US & UK), Immigration cases, Divorce cases, Custody, Insurance claims
4. Charge and get paid by the minute.
There are certain jobs, like web conference, where the interpreter needs at least a computer and two landlines phones [on one line you listen to the speaker, on the second line you talk/interpret for the target audience, on the first monitor watch the Power-point presentation (mute) and on the second computer you are connected to the technical team]

Hope it helps,

Lee
Collapse

Luciana E. Lovatto
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 17, 2010

Thanks Lee, your feedback is really important for the research. You have made a great contribution.

[on one line you listen to the speaker, on the second line you talk/interpret for the target audience, on the first monitor watch the Power-point presentation (mute) and on the second computer you are connected to the technical team]
Lee

It takes more than split-attention

Regards,
Luciana

Marie-Claire Beckx
Marie-Claire Beckx  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:17
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Telephone interpreting Jun 19, 2010

Hi Luciana,

this is the future for interpreters! It saves travel costs, time and energy. Two websites I recommend to have a thorough look:

http://en.dialogvox.com/telefondolmetschen.php
http://www.webinterpret.com/

Good luck with your research.

B
... See more
Hi Luciana,

this is the future for interpreters! It saves travel costs, time and energy. Two websites I recommend to have a thorough look:

http://en.dialogvox.com/telefondolmetschen.php
http://www.webinterpret.com/

Good luck with your research.

Best regards,

Marie-Claire

[Bearbeitet am 2010-06-19 14:06 GMT]
Collapse

Luciana E. Lovatto
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Marie-Claire! Jun 22, 2010

Sure, these links will be very useful for my research.

Kind regards,
Luciana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with a research on telephone interpreting

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »