Paula Morrison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 16, 2010

Hi!

I have a quick question.

I have to interpret at a Market Research Focus Group and the last time I did this, I was just sitting in the viewing room with the client - just one person- and I simultaneously interpreted what the respondents were saying and the moderator asked.

Now, in the event there are more people in the viewing room that could possibly distract me from my job, has anyone ever required special equipment for the project? This is not a
... See more
Hi!

I have a quick question.

I have to interpret at a Market Research Focus Group and the last time I did this, I was just sitting in the viewing room with the client - just one person- and I simultaneously interpreted what the respondents were saying and the moderator asked.

Now, in the event there are more people in the viewing room that could possibly distract me from my job, has anyone ever required special equipment for the project? This is not a conference and it doesn't need a booth, but has anyone worked with mic and headphones, or had special requirements for the client?

I would be very grateful if you can advise me on this.

Kind regards,

Paula

------------------------------------------------------------

Paula Morrison

PM Translation & Interpreting Services

Tel: 0208 244 8278

Mob: 0782 8090 588

[email protected]

www.pmtranslationservices.co.uk
Collapse

Giulia TAPPI
Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:24
French to Italian
+ ...
I always work with mic and headphones Jul 16, 2010

especially when sitting with the clients.

In some other places, I worked in a booth.

Giulia

Paula Morrison
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Giulia Jul 16, 2010

Hi Giulia,

I think you are right.

I think I should ask for a mic and headphones not to get distracted if there are people whispering next to me.

Many thanks!

Paula

Yan-Christoph Pelz
Yan-Christoph Pelz
Germany
French to English
+ ...
Interpreting at Focus Goups - equipment Jul 16, 2010

Dear Paula,

well, my experience is that you would need some sort of equipment. A booth would be ideal, but I never had the priviledge of getting one in such a setting (that is why I rarely do this).

Usually you sit in an extra room, there is one microphone for all, so that you hear everything - not just what they are saying... and you also have a TV screen for seeing the participants.

Good luck with this!

Yan-Christoph

Yan-Christop
... See more
Dear Paula,

well, my experience is that you would need some sort of equipment. A booth would be ideal, but I never had the priviledge of getting one in such a setting (that is why I rarely do this).

Usually you sit in an extra room, there is one microphone for all, so that you hear everything - not just what they are saying... and you also have a TV screen for seeing the participants.

Good luck with this!

Yan-Christoph

Yan-Christoph Pelz
Conference Interpreter
Bahnwärterweg 38
50733 Cologne
Germany
Ph.: +49 221 5347188
Fax: +49 221 5347189
Collapse

smvasc
smvasc
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Microphone and Headphones are a must Jul 16, 2010

I have interpreted at a few focus groups and they have always provided me with a microphone and headphones, I cannot imagine doing it without headphones, I think you should demand it. The work is hard enough, so without the proper equipment...

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:24
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
this kind of interpretation is usually not well-structured Jul 17, 2010

The "observers" will often ask you questions while you are interpreting. You usually cannot decline to answer their questions. They are not from the translation circle and you cannot argue with them using the principles and ethics in interpretation.

So be prepared to intensively interact with these observers while you interprete. It doesn't matter if you miss what a respondent says occasionally. The session will be taped and transcribed anyway later on.

Joanna Gałecka
Joanna Gałecka  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Rigid rates a standard? Jul 27, 2010

I would definitely ask for a headset, if for no other reason than to be able to block out the conversations between the observers - interpreting eight people taking at the same time is one thing, but having to ignore people talking around you takes this kind of work to a whole new level of difficult! Yan-Christoph, you're right, a booth would be a dream in such a setting.

I've been meaning to ask a focus group-related question and I hope you won't mind me doing so here. I have only
... See more
I would definitely ask for a headset, if for no other reason than to be able to block out the conversations between the observers - interpreting eight people taking at the same time is one thing, but having to ignore people talking around you takes this kind of work to a whole new level of difficult! Yan-Christoph, you're right, a booth would be a dream in such a setting.

I've been meaning to ask a focus group-related question and I hope you won't mind me doing so here. I have only recently started working with focus groups here in Poland and was shocked at how rigid the rates are. I've been offered a 4-hour block rate (standard in my country) for doing 5 hours of almost non-stop interpreting or for working from 5pm to 9pm. When I asked for higher rates (2 x 4-hour blocks and 50% on top of the normal rate respectively) I was told that focus groups are usually longer than 4 hours and that they usually take place in the afternoons and evenings and different rates can't be offered in such circumstances. Apparently, this is the situation across the board and no client would agree to pay extra. Is this true in your country? Or, if you're Polish, do you agree to work non-standard hours for a standard rate?
Collapse

Paula Morrison
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Research Group rates Jul 30, 2010

First of all thanks to everyone for their replies - some very helpful info.

Joanna, I used to work in Market Research (and my husband currently works in Market Research) and my experience is that often unsociable hours seem to be normal in this industry.

Some companies are more generous than others with regards to additional payment for these hours, but they are often not compensated at a higher rate. What's everyone else's experience?

Paula Morrison
... See more
First of all thanks to everyone for their replies - some very helpful info.

Joanna, I used to work in Market Research (and my husband currently works in Market Research) and my experience is that often unsociable hours seem to be normal in this industry.

Some companies are more generous than others with regards to additional payment for these hours, but they are often not compensated at a higher rate. What's everyone else's experience?

Paula Morrison

PM Translation & Interpreting Services

Tel: 0208 244 8278

Mob: 0782 8090 588

[email protected]

www.pmtranslationservices.co.uk
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting at Focus Goups

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »