Thread poster: sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2010

I recently finished my training in conference interpreting in Europe and returned to the United States. I am looking for organizations such as Amnesty International, ADT Quart Monde, etc. that need volunteer conference interpreters and are either located in the US, or willing to work with volunteers who live in the US.

Thank you for any ideas!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Chicago? Oct 27, 2010

Your profile shows somwhere near Chicago, and there is a large Mexican presence there, so just by contacting different organizations there that work with that community you should have plenty of volunteer opportunities. Paid opprtunities, of course, could be another matter.

[Editado a las 2010-10-27 02:17 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
English to Russian
+ ...
ADs in newspapers? Oct 27, 2010

Advertising in newspapers?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ads? Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, but Sergei, this lady says she'll work for free (volunteer). Apparently she wants to get some experience first before launching into a paid career. I don't think she wants to spend her own money to work for nothing. However, by contacting a few organizations she should get some takers, they're always looking for freebies.

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 27, 2010

Thank you, perhaps I should have clarified. I am looking for ways to get more conference experience between paying jobs at this very early point in my career.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
English to Russian
+ ...
Even phone call Oct 27, 2010

to a prospective employer costs money...
What is a principal difference?
When someone goes to an interview bus fare is to be paid..
etc...

I don't think ads are expensive. And they can be recognized as costs.

You will be astonished to learn how many people still read newspapers and do not surf internet when they need to a plumber.

[Edited at 2010-10-27 19:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Volunteer conference interpreting- North America

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »