Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 30, 2010

In a conversation yesterday, someone mentioned that they could not apply to become an NRPSI French interpreter due to the number of registered interpreters for French being capped.
Does anyone know if this is true and, if so, does it apply to other languages too?

Rekha Narula
Rekha Narula  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
First I've heard of this Oct 30, 2010

Hello,

I must say that I've not heard about this "capping" and I'm a French interpreter on the NRPSI.

However, there are a lot of rumblings about the future of the NRPSI if the government's wholesale outsourcing of its interpreting and translation services goes ahead by April 2011. If the outsourcing does happen (and it looks increasingly that it will), it would appear that the NRPSI would become redundant. In that case, why are they taking interpreters' money for rene
... See more
Hello,

I must say that I've not heard about this "capping" and I'm a French interpreter on the NRPSI.

However, there are a lot of rumblings about the future of the NRPSI if the government's wholesale outsourcing of its interpreting and translation services goes ahead by April 2011. If the outsourcing does happen (and it looks increasingly that it will), it would appear that the NRPSI would become redundant. In that case, why are they taking interpreters' money for renewing membership registration knowing that, in a few months' time, they may very well not be here .

Time will tell....

Let us not be pessimistic and hope that something will be worked out to our benefit, and not our detriment !

Regards,

Rekha
Collapse

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
An excuse not to register? Oct 30, 2010

Dear Susanna,

One can easily check the number of interpreters registered on NRPSI. Go to www.nrpsi.co.uk and then under 'latest news' click on the tab 'language listings'. You can see that there are 145 French interpreters registered. To compare, there are 262 Polish and 233 Urdu interpreters registered.

Your interlocutor really has no excuse not to register. Maybe simply they failed th
... See more
Dear Susanna,

One can easily check the number of interpreters registered on NRPSI. Go to www.nrpsi.co.uk and then under 'latest news' click on the tab 'language listings'. You can see that there are 145 French interpreters registered. To compare, there are 262 Polish and 233 Urdu interpreters registered.

Your interlocutor really has no excuse not to register. Maybe simply they failed the exam and it is much easier to blame the mythical and invisible cap?

Kasia
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Excuse not to register Oct 30, 2010

Hi Kasia,

I also checked the numbers and found it odd - the same thought occurred to me as to you, particularly as with, allegedly, over 800 PSI hours they'd have found it easier than most to register IF they could pass the exams.
Just thought I'd see if anyone knew anything as I'd never heard this either.
Have a good evening

Suzi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NRPSI - Capped French

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »