In translation/interpreting, is there a huge difference between having a Masters vs. Certifications?
Thread poster: LoloMB
LoloMB
United States
Local time: 19:44
English to Spanish
Apr 18, 2011

I'm considering going to a university in Australia that offers a Masters in Translation & Interpreting. It's my cheapest option for an MA, from what I've seen, though it would still put me heavily into debt (about 40,000 AUD including the cost of living there).

This program only lasts one year, which is why I consider it the cheapest option. I was looking into getting a masters in Spain (my pair would be EN/ES) but those courses last longer, and living there I imagine is expensive.

So I've had to think about just letting this idea go, as it may not be practical for me to get an MA at this point. Would I be alright just getting certificates from local month-long weekend training programs and things like that? That's all I have in my area. I mean...does a masters trump a certificate by a good margin in this industry?

Any tips are greatly appreciated
Lolo

Direct link Reply with quote

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
An opinion Apr 18, 2011

LoloMB wrote:

I'm considering going to a university in Australia that offers a Masters in Translation & Interpreting. It's my cheapest option for an MA, from what I've seen, though it would still put me heavily into debt (about 40,000 AUD including the cost of living there).

This program only lasts one year, which is why I consider it the cheapest option. I was looking into getting a masters in Spain (my pair would be EN/ES) but those courses last longer, and living there I imagine is expensive.

So I've had to think about just letting this idea go, as it may not be practical for me to get an MA at this point. Would I be alright just getting certificates from local month-long weekend training programs and things like that? That's all I have in my area. I mean...does a masters trump a certificate by a good margin in this industry?

Any tips are greatly appreciated
Lolo

40000 AUD for a masters in Translation and even in interpreting is not worth the investment. 40000 in a degree of a famous biz.school is.
That said, why don't you contemplate about going to one of the British schools or one of the Spanish schools. (vary between £6000-£10000 per annum, cost of living not included). British schools: Bath, Herriot-Watt, Leeds and Westminster.
Spanish: LaLaguna, Salamanca, Granada
Other: ETI-Geneva (costs about 500 Sfr per semester), the French schools (ESIT, ISIT (most expensive of them all), IITRI-Strassbourg)

A masters in translation is not a trump ticket, not on the translation market nor on the normal labour market.

Where is the labour-market for translation: Right, at international institutions where thousand people participate in a competition to get in or the freelance market, where anybody with a computer and an internet connection can call himself/herself "translator".

A masters in interpreting is, because it certifies that you mastered interpreting techniques and that you have passed exams of which at most schools, the jury was partly composed of your teacher, partly by external professional interpreters.

The market for interpreting: Also no layer in-between. Either you pass a competition at an international institution or you become a(n) accredited) freelancer.

With biz.schools, the sky is the limit on the market of the international institutions, the broad market in-between and the freelance market (consultancy).

Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle
English to French
+ ...
In interpreting, there is Apr 21, 2011

I am not sure about translation, but nowadays it has become quite difficult to find work as an interpreter without an MA or equivalent degree.
Williamson has already mentioned the most prestigious interpreting schools, and attending one of them would be your best bet to start off your career on the right foot.

Aymeric de Poyen
Conference interpreter

xxxsonjaswenson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
EN/ES Apr 22, 2011

If you are looking for a MA in translation between English and Spanish, there are certainly cheaper options.
As was already stated, Spain, France, and the UK all have a variety of programs. Also you might consider Latin American schools. Usually the cost of living is much, much cheaper there as well.
ISIT (no relation to the one in Paris) in Mexico City is reputable. There are also well-known schools in Buenos Aires and in Santiago, Chile. I am sure that there are others, too.

Jonathan Hemming  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
Spanish to English
I recommend Leeds University in the UK for translation master's Aug 14, 2014

Hello

I studied the Master's in Audiovisual Translation Studies at Leeds University. I highly recommend it, both from the theoretical and practical aspects of the course.

You can read my account of it here, and also one of the MA in Applied Translation, which focuses more on the use of CAT tools.

http://www.translationengland.com/translation-blog/what-is-it-like-to-study-the-ma-in-audiovisual-translation-studies-at-the-university-of-leeds

Jonathan

Simon Poplawski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
on the other hand Aug 14, 2014

I know a bunch of awesome conference interpreters without a degree and a few fully qualified ones who have no idea how to do it or how to survive on the market. In some countries a degree seems to be a must, yet you'll end up being paid peanuts and so forth...

Diana Cherone
Local time: 18:44
English to Romanian
+ ...
Other options Aug 14, 2014

Hello Lolo,

Have you considered a university in the US? UW-Milwaukee has a great Translation MA program. They offer courses online, so you might be able to save by not having to relocate. Moreover, they customize your course work to your professional goal. Great professors and instructors.

This is the link to the program: http://www4.uwm.edu/letsci/mallt/

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Diana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In translation/interpreting, is there a huge difference between having a Masters vs. Certifications?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search