Do you use Livescribe SmartPen? How does it work?
Thread poster: Eszter Chrobacsinszky

Eszter Chrobacsinszky
Local time: 21:42
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 6, 2011

Dear all,

I'm an interpretation student, and I'm writing my thesis about SmartPen and its possible uses in interpreting schools, maybe even in the booth. I would like to ask anyone who has used it in an interpretation task to tell me about their experience. Also interested in opinions type "no use whatsoever" and "only the weak and coward use such methods". Thank you.


 

Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 21:42
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Lack of top-spiralled notebooks May 7, 2011

All the notebooks they offer for use with this Smartpen seem to have the spiral binding on the side instead of at the top, as you would use it for interpreting (or at least I would). Have you considered this shortcoming, or are there suppliers of other notebook formats as well?

 

FarkasAndras
Local time: 21:42
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thoughts May 8, 2011

nauphragus wrote:

I'm an interpretation student, and I'm writing my thesis about SmartPen and its possible uses in interpreting schools, maybe even in the booth.


I guess it could come in really handy if an interpreting student wanted to check up on their performance in practice. It could be used to record the original speech along with the notes taken (although it'd be better to record the original with a better mike placed closer to the speaker). It would allow you to check your note-taking and, if you also record yourself, see how well you did.
I don't see a use for it "in the booth", though. I can't see how it would be useful in simul - or indeed in consec - in a real job situation.


 

Eszter Chrobacsinszky
Local time: 21:42
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lack of top-spiralled notebooks May 8, 2011

I have already noticed this problem. I've contacted the Hungarian distributor and they seem never to have thought of interpreters as a possible market.

I asked my question in the first place because if many interpreters considered using the pen, the manufacturer could be easily convinced to make top-spiralled notebooks for them. At least this is what I suppose.

However, in booth, not everyone uses spiralled notebooks. Sometimes there is plain paper (or even worse: notepads glued on the top) only. I think the SmartPen could be used while doing simultaneous as well.


 

FarkasAndras
Local time: 21:42
English to Hungarian
+ ...
? May 8, 2011

nauphragus wrote:

I think the SmartPen could be used while doing simultaneous as well.


For what purpose? I have never met anyone who writes down more than the odd number during simul work.


 

Eszter Chrobacsinszky
Local time: 21:42
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe... May 9, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

nauphragus wrote:

I think the SmartPen could be used while doing simultaneous as well.


For what purpose? I have never met anyone who writes down more than the odd number during simul work.


I'm not sure if it is really useful, but I think it's technically possible. With a lot of practice, for a speech where there are not only numbers, but also complicated instutition names (... Committee of the ....Suborganisation of the Global ... Association - and you know it's the other way round in Hungarian). I thought maybe if you take a moment to take 3 strokes with the pen (approximately where I put "..."-s), you can immediately re-listen them through your headphone. Of course, you risk missing the next parts, that's why I'm not sure it can actually be used.

But this pen has so many uses nobody had thought of before. And just because nobody uses something today, it doesn't mean we won't use it tomorrow.icon_wink.gif


 

julianemirovsky  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thesis Aug 18, 2012

Hi, I'm a student myself and I'm really interested on your Thesis. Where could I read it?
Thank you.

Julia

Eszter Chrobacsinszky wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

nauphragus wrote:

I think the SmartPen could be used while doing simultaneous as well.


For what purpose? I have never met anyone who writes down more than the odd number during simul work.


I'm not sure if it is really useful, but I think it's technically possible. With a lot of practice, for a speech where there are not only numbers, but also complicated instutition names (... Committee of the ....Suborganisation of the Global ... Association - and you know it's the other way round in Hungarian). I thought maybe if you take a moment to take 3 strokes with the pen (approximately where I put "..."-s), you can immediately re-listen them through your headphone. Of course, you risk missing the next parts, that's why I'm not sure it can actually be used.

But this pen has so many uses nobody had thought of before. And just because nobody uses something today, it doesn't mean we won't use it tomorrow.icon_wink.gif


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use Livescribe SmartPen? How does it work?

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search