Does anybody know a good book of history of interpreting in Europe?
Thread poster: CLARA PINILLOS

German to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 7, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm a translation and interpreting student from Barcelona. I'm doing my dissertation about a comparison between masters in conference interpreting under the EMCI consorce and other masters offered by prestigious universities not linked to this consorce. I'm searching for a book or an author who writes about the history of interpreting in Europe, like the first training centres, etc.

Can anybody give me an advice??

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lina Elhage-Mensching  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
English to French
+ ...
This publication might help you Jun 7, 2011

Hello, maybe you could read

"Les traducteurs dans l'histoire" published by Les presses de l'université d'Ottawa, sous la direction de Jean Delisle et Judith Woodsworth.

You could also browse through the AIIC website and find some interesting articles there.

All the best

Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:16
Russian to English
+ ...
Interpreting for Europe Jun 8, 2011

Hi Clara,

I suggest you post your question on Interpreting for Europe, the official Facebook page of the EU Interpreting Service:

Perhaps, some of their readers will be able to direct you to relevant sources.

Good luck!

Local time: 23:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interpreters as Diplomats by Ruth Roland Jul 4, 2011

Hello! One excellent book for your question is "Interpreters as Diplomats" by Ruth Roland. It focuses mainly on interpreting in diplomatic settings, but may be helpful.

Here is a link to the publisher's page for the book:

It is an excellent text.

Also, I have a book on telephone interpreting that you can download for free by signing up for a newsletter at

It does not discuss Europe in great depth except to say that telephone interpreting was not historically widely used in Europe aside from in the UK. However, it might be helpful to you.

Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody know a good book of history of interpreting in Europe?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search