Does anybody know a good book of history of interpreting in Europe?
Thread poster: CLARA PINILLOS
CLARA PINILLOS
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 7, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm a translation and interpreting student from Barcelona. I'm doing my dissertation about a comparison between masters in conference interpreting under the EMCI consorce and other masters offered by prestigious universities not linked to this consorce. I'm searching for a book or an author who writes about the history of interpreting in Europe, like the first training centres, etc.

Can anybody give me an advice??

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lina Elhage-Mensching  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:35
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
This publication might help you Jun 7, 2011

Hello, maybe you could read

"Les traducteurs dans l'histoire" published by Les presses de l'université d'Ottawa, sous la direction de Jean Delisle et Judith Woodsworth.

You could also browse through the AIIC website and find some interesting articles there.

All the best

Lina

Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 05:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Interpreting for Europe Jun 8, 2011

Hi Clara,

I suggest you post your question on Interpreting for Europe, the official Facebook page of the EU Interpreting Service: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Interpreting-for-Europe/173122606407

Perhaps, some of their readers will be able to direct you to relevant sources.

Good luck!

natalykelly

Local time: 21:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interpreters as Diplomats by Ruth Roland Jul 4, 2011

Hello! One excellent book for your question is "Interpreters as Diplomats" by Ruth Roland. It focuses mainly on interpreting in diplomatic settings, but may be helpful.

Here is a link to the publisher's page for the book:
http://www.erudit.org/revue/ttr/2002/v15/n1/006810ar.pdf

It is an excellent text.

Also, I have a book on telephone interpreting that you can download for free by signing up for a newsletter at www.interprenaut.com.

It does not discuss Europe in great depth except to say that telephone interpreting was not historically widely used in Europe aside from in the UK. However, it might be helpful to you.

Hope this helps!

Nataly

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody know a good book of history of interpreting in Europe?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search