Any interpreting courses (intensive, 1-2 month-long / 52ish credits) out there?
Thread poster: LoloMB
LoloMB
United States
Local time: 05:26
English to Spanish
Jun 27, 2011

I've got a good chunk of free time and would like to get into interpreting.
I mostly do translation, and recently left my full-time job.

I'd like to take a course in interpreting, legal or medical I suppose, though I'm not set on any particular field. I'm mostly looking to just give myself a task related to interpreting and see how it goes. A desire to spend a good month or three away from home also plays into this, to be honest. A way to spend my free time productively. I did something similar when I went to New York for a month to take up Cambridge's English Language Teaching program.

So I've found some programs in the US through imiaweb.org, though this directory is just for medical interpreting in the US.

But what about other countries? And other fields such as legal interpreting or maybe generalised introductory courses?

Are there sites with similar directories to interpreter training courses, such as the imiaweb one, for other countries, and other fields?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Romina Eva Pérez Escorihuela
Argentina
Local time: 07:26
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you thought about Argentina? Jun 27, 2011

Hello, Lolo!

If you are willing to travel really, really far from home, and seeking to get some experience living with Spanish speaking natives, I would recommend you to enter in touch with Lucille Barnes' agency in Buenos Aires. Sometimes she organizes introductory courses in Consecutive and Simultaneous Interpretation! and I can recommend you her institution; I have studied a lot there (I still do, actually).

As regards legar interpreting, here in Argentina, in order to do so, you have to be a Certified Translator first...

Good luck!
Romina

link Jul 12, 2011

There's one course that focuses on Legal interpretation in Tucson, Arizona. Its only a 3 week course, but I enjoyed it. If I remember correctly, all the instructors are Federally Certified court interpreters. Tucson is nice but really hot in the summer, that's when they have their institute. Here's the link.

http://nci.arizona.edu/

Alekz
www.certifiedcourtinterpreters.net

vvanderlaan  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
MISS Jul 12, 2011

You can check Monterrey Institute of International Studies - I'm not sure if they have brief intensive programs, but they're one of the few in the US that I know have degrees in interpreting.

http://www.miis.edu/

[Edited at 2011-07-12 20:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any interpreting courses (intensive, 1-2 month-long / 52ish credits) out there?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search