SPSI Society of Public Service Interpreters
Thread poster: Susanna Garcia

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2011

Does anybody have any experience of this organisation?

Hedging my bets with the NRPSI, I joined back in May and sent off the £85.00. Since then, I've heard nothing, no acknowledgement - zero.

I wanted to phone them but hey, no number.

Any information welcomed.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
I didn't in the end.... Jul 6, 2011

Hi Suzi,

I was tempted, but still haven't done it. Your example does not encourage me either.

NRPSI issued a very tight-lipped comment about the SPSI email on their website.

Please keep us posted in case anything hatches!

Spanish to English
+ ...
Society for Public Service Interpreting SPSI Jul 7, 2011

SPSI is concerned that Susanna Garcia's application did not reach us. I spoke to Susanna today and sent a new form. Of the hundreds we have received I know of only 6 that have been lost by the post. Every application, email and query is replied to.
The aim of SPSI is to speak for interpreters and make our views known to the government, the MoJ, the police forces as well as to provide work matching facilities.
The site where members' data will be avaiable free but password protected (no harvesting by agencies!) has been commissioned last May and should be ready late in July or early August. Please bear in mind that designing a site and preparing data to be entered into a site takes on average 2 to 3 months.
SPSI has called for elections to the 7 member board. All members of the new board will be elected by interpreter members of SPSI. Interpreters members are being sent the information as this is written and a date for the AGM fixed. It will also be possible to join at the AGM fixed for Saturday Oct. 29.
Hundreds have joined and we need more members to have the weight and funds to fight the MoJ's misguided proposals. SPSI has been very active in this area and works jointly with interpreter organisations both of the spoken word and sign languages.
It is now possible to join sending an emailed form and to pay the membership fee by bak transfer to SPSI's bank, HSBC, 402826, account number 21510169. The board decided to extend the 20% discount though SPSI has chalked well over 300 members given the difficulties we are all facing given the scarcity oif work.
Our address, telephone numbers, email and kype data follow below. Please contact us if information is required.
The other 2 founding directors are Mansour Dhifallah and Laura Orsini.
Join now to give SPSI's arguments more weight and and funding to the campaign against outsourcing and the MoJ's fundamentally flawed measures.
Guillermo A. Makin, Ph. D. (Cambridge), Prof. Universidad de Belgrano, Argentina, RPSI, MCIL
Founding Director, Society for Public Service Interpreting, SPSI
Wellington House East Road Cambridge CB1 1BH.
T: [44] (0)1223-353692 - mobile: [44] (0)7951580604
Email: infospsi.org.uk@btinternet.com

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
SPSI - Mystery solved Jul 7, 2011

In fact, no mystery at all, just the usual mail problems; but my cheque really was in the post!

Willy was very helpful, explained everything and I'll be registering at last later.

Pat Schunemann
Please get in Touch, I am in the SPSI Nov 29, 2011

Dear Ania,
I saw your comment on this blog and would like to invite you to join the SPSI, we are trying to reverse the damage caused by the cowardice shown by our very own NRPSI as they so spinelessly gave in to the the Ministry of Justice. The Ministry of Justice proposes to create a Monopoly by handing over all justice related interpreting to a single private, profit driven organisation called Applied Language Solutions, so that they make a profit at the expense of the professional interpreters and the defendants. By cutting the fees by 70%, the Ministry of Justice will effectively destroy the livelihood of the most experienced interpreters. Dashing the right of the defendants to be understood and to be heard in fairness through experienced professional interpreters;
Join the good fight, for your future and ours, join us in the SPSI.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SPSI Society of Public Service Interpreters

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

• All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search