Thread poster: Baraa Ajaj (X)
Baraa Ajaj (X)
Baraa Ajaj (X)
Local time: 07:23
English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2011

Hello,

I am just a little bit confused about Travel allowance and Parking in Brisbane, I mean aren't we as interpreters eligible to some kind of a refund or shouldn't we include it in our invoices, or at least let the client pay half of it??

It seems however that "some" agencies don't pay for neither. It is fair enough that when you live near the city, you are not traveling a long distance (I live 10 minutes from the city and most of my clients or based there or nearby)
... See more
Hello,

I am just a little bit confused about Travel allowance and Parking in Brisbane, I mean aren't we as interpreters eligible to some kind of a refund or shouldn't we include it in our invoices, or at least let the client pay half of it??

It seems however that "some" agencies don't pay for neither. It is fair enough that when you live near the city, you are not traveling a long distance (I live 10 minutes from the city and most of my clients or based there or nearby), but what about PARKING?? Free parking is not always available and sometimes it can cost a fortune!!

Any thoughts on this matter??

[Edited at 2011-07-14 04:41 GMT]
Collapse

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 00:23
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Why don't you try a bicycle? Jul 14, 2011

Hi Bara,
Try using a bike. Thus you will exercise. I hope weather is fine in your area.
Have a great day!

Georgi

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Work-related expenses Jul 14, 2011

These may be treated as work-related expenses and are tax deductible. Make a note and keep all receipts of what you spend on earning your income and report them at the end of FY when you lodge your tax return. Talk to an accountant.

And yes, if you use your bike for work purposes, the cost of purchase, maintenance of it may also be tax deductible.

Bara'a Fattal wrote:

Hello,

It seems however that "some" agencies don't pay for neither. It is fair enough that when you live near the city, you are not traveling a long distance (I live 10 minutes from the city and most of my clients or based there or nearby), but what about PARKING?? Free parking is not always available and sometimes it can cost a fortune!!

Any thoughts on this matter??

[Edited at 2011-07-14 04:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-14 07:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-14 07:29 GMT]

Baraa Ajaj (X)
Baraa Ajaj (X)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Love the bicycle idea!! Jul 14, 2011

.... That's a very interesting idea, especially when you are 7 months pregnant and you have to cross a freeway to get to the city... and with all the incidents happening to the cyclists being ran over by motorists.. uh... thanks but no thanks

Maybe if I lived IN the city, I would consider it

Baraa Ajaj (X)
Baraa Ajaj (X)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you quoi.. Jul 14, 2011

... will talk to an accountant about that, I did not know that they are tax deductible!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

travel allowance and parking!!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »