Ben Lalmy
Ben Lalmy
Local time: 00:37
English to French
+ ...
Issue also followed up very closely in Scotland Mar 15, 2012

see this article: http://lalmy.blogspot.com

[Edited at 2012-03-16 09:03 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
More pressure Mar 19, 2012

Contempt of court?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/mar/19/private-court-interpretation-contractor-contempt?CMP=twt_gu

Contempt of everyone involved, more like.

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Claim that IoL sold the company data Mar 21, 2012

So the "service" providing company say here (about 2 mins in)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17462432

[Edited at 2012-04-16 17:39 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Charlie Bavington
French to English
Claim that the company stole IoL data Mar 21, 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17463036

Truth may lie in between. One version I've heard is that the company legitimately bought access to the IoL's database of interpreters (NRPSI was then part of IoL) but illegitimately stored that data on their own database. Which sounds plausible.

[Edited at 2012-04-16 17:39 GMT]

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 01:37
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
That explains it Mar 21, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:

Apparently, the same agency has now been awarded the contract for outsourced language support by the London 2012 Organising Committee.

I was offered a job connected with the 2012 Olympics at a little less than half of my rate (from what must be a sub-contractor) which at its current level is pretty much middle of the road for my language pairs. I can only imagine what kind of translators they get at that rate. I think we can expect more fun "lost in translation moments" this coming summer.

[Edited at 2012-03-22 03:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-16 14:30 GMT]

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hi-de-hi dearie Mar 22, 2012

Burrell wrote:
Hi dear

No chance it could be a Nigerian scammer, then?

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Details Mar 22, 2012

If it's true that the details were purchased three years ago as reported (or even earlier, as one tweet I have read suggests), why did that sale happen? Were preparations being made for the contract even then, when it would have been but a twinkle in the eye of Crispin Blunt's predecessor, before the last election? As I recall, the Labour government also argued that agencies had to be brought in due to what it claimed was an insufficient number of interpreters on the NRPSI.

It will
... See more
If it's true that the details were purchased three years ago as reported (or even earlier, as one tweet I have read suggests), why did that sale happen? Were preparations being made for the contract even then, when it would have been but a twinkle in the eye of Crispin Blunt's predecessor, before the last election? As I recall, the Labour government also argued that agencies had to be brought in due to what it claimed was an insufficient number of interpreters on the NRPSI.

It will be fascinating to see what the Attorney-General does. Politically, I don't see how the government can bring contempt proceedings without ending up with egg all over its face, after having sworn blind that this Hindenburg of a scheme would save £18 million a year and maintain high standards. Its alternative, if it wants to minimise the political damage to itself, is to play down the current problems, blow the failings of the old system out of all proportion and scapegoat the interpreters - and, surprise surprise, that's exactly what it's doing.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
French to English
CIOL statement Mar 22, 2012

http://www.iol.org.uk/news/news_article.asp?r=PCVND484998

It's still not clear (to me) exactly to what extent the company in question had this data in their own database and whether that was legitimate or not, and whether these people were used to support that company's claims (I'm guessing they did, no and yes).

I must say that despite Crispin Blunt's e
... See more
http://www.iol.org.uk/news/news_article.asp?r=PCVND484998

It's still not clear (to me) exactly to what extent the company in question had this data in their own database and whether that was legitimate or not, and whether these people were used to support that company's claims (I'm guessing they did, no and yes).

I must say that despite Crispin Blunt's efforts, most of the media reporting I've seen is reasonably interpreter-friendly, and seems to lay the blame squarely at the service (?!) provider's door.

[Edited at 2012-04-25 10:43 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Scapegoats Mar 22, 2012

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I must say that despite Crispin Blunt's efforts, most of the media reporting I've seen is reasonably interpreter-friendly (...)

If the FWA is cancelled and a penalty for early termination is paid, I can think of at least one publication that is likely to turn on the interpreters and side with the government's spokesman in order to stir up the public fury it craves. The MoJ has refused to tell me anything about any penalty, citing "commercial interests", which I interpret as an ominous sign that there is one and that it would be big enough to inflict serious damage on the careers of the officials involved! Funny how these commercial interests didn't stop it revealing at the earliest opportunity how much it would be paying if the service succeeded, and how much money it expected to save. It's just the price of failure that is being kept firmly under wraps.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 23:37
Japanese to English
My negative opinion Mar 22, 2012

I hate to say this, but I think [that company we have all been discussing] will get away with it in the end, penalty-free. It'll take a year or two, but the worst "interpreters" will be weeded out and the best ones will find other work to do, leaving them with the average interpreters and the new graduates for whom £16-£22 is the new standard. It's a battle of attrition, but as along as the government is so firmly on their side I don't see them losing.

My £0.02.

[Edited at
... See more
I hate to say this, but I think [that company we have all been discussing] will get away with it in the end, penalty-free. It'll take a year or two, but the worst "interpreters" will be weeded out and the best ones will find other work to do, leaving them with the average interpreters and the new graduates for whom £16-£22 is the new standard. It's a battle of attrition, but as along as the government is so firmly on their side I don't see them losing.

My £0.02.

[Edited at 2012-04-17 13:41 GMT]
Collapse

Trans_Interp
Trans_Interp

TOPIC STARTER
Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK Mar 24, 2012

Charlie Bavington wrote:
It's still not clear (to me) exactly to what extent ALS had this data in their own database and whether that was legitimate or not,

http://www.iol.org.uk/news/news_article.asp?r=PCXTAW1562

Interpreter Details - Further Clarification
2012-03-23
Further to our statement on 22 March regarding ALS and interpreters’ details we would like to provide additional clarification as follows.

ALS, like the other intermediaries which subscribed to the Register, paid a monthly subscription to the former NRPSI for the registration details of those registered interpreters who had given their permission for intermediaries to have access to it. ALS subscribed to the Register from November 2007 to July 2008, and then again from February 2009 until the system of subscription ended in March 2011, and the Register became free to access and in the public domain via the NRPSI website.

Subscription to the Register was subject to compliance with the Terms and Conditions of Use laid down by the former NRPSI, which stipulated that the right to access the data covered by the subscription was time-limited.

Trans_Interp
Trans_Interp

TOPIC STARTER
Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK Mar 24, 2012

Channel 4 News: "Court chaos as interpreter service goes private
http://www.channel4.com/news/court-chaos-as-interpreter-service-goes-private

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »