How do you stay organized?
Thread poster: Sara Senft

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2011

I quickly learned that staying organized is essential for success and good business management. That said, I have come up with several systems for helping myself stay well-organized.

I'm curious: What do you, my fellow interpreters, do to stay organized? I'm doing a good job with it, but I am open to hearing things that could help me do even better.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Calendar Aug 3, 2011

Not addressing translation but intepreting, keeping a good calendar would be critical. Somehing else that can really help is to find a willing colleague, perhaps a dedicated translator like myself, who can back you up in places so you can double-book when there are conflicts, yet if one job cancels they don't mind being canceled and you can take the other job. At times I would do that for different colleagues.

Freelance legal, community and hospital interpreting can lend itself to a
... See more
Not addressing translation but intepreting, keeping a good calendar would be critical. Somehing else that can really help is to find a willing colleague, perhaps a dedicated translator like myself, who can back you up in places so you can double-book when there are conflicts, yet if one job cancels they don't mind being canceled and you can take the other job. At times I would do that for different colleagues.

Freelance legal, community and hospital interpreting can lend itself to a lot of time conflicts and canceling, so what I am suggesting can be a real advantage.
Collapse

Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:44
Russian to English
+ ...
The Get-It-Done Guy podcasts on productivity and organisation Aug 17, 2011

On a more general note, I'm a big fan of the Get-It-Done Guy podcasts on productivity and organisation. I find that they are especially applicable to the freelance/consulting lifestyle (perhaps because the author is also an independent consultant). The topics covered range from scheduling, filing and organisation to setting professional goals and maintaining relationships with clients, bosses, and colleagues. If you are interested in simple, but effective tips for staying organised, I suggest ch... See more
On a more general note, I'm a big fan of the Get-It-Done Guy podcasts on productivity and organisation. I find that they are especially applicable to the freelance/consulting lifestyle (perhaps because the author is also an independent consultant). The topics covered range from scheduling, filing and organisation to setting professional goals and maintaining relationships with clients, bosses, and colleagues. If you are interested in simple, but effective tips for staying organised, I suggest checking it out.

Here are just some of the podcast episodes that I found particularly helpful, as an interpreter:

* File so You Can Find Anything--Instantly
* How to Memorize Quickly
* Keep Organization While Traveling
* How to Get Work Done On Airplanes (as interpreters, many of us travel a lot!)
* Saying "No" to Difficult Requests
* Stop People from Interrupting
* Accepting Criticism and Feedback Gracefully (interpreters will certainly recognise the last three skills as essential )

Here is the link to the podcast page:
http://getitdone.quickanddirtytips.com/

[Edited at 2011-08-17 15:51 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you stay organized?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search