Learning to Interpret- steps.procedures and structure- feedback wanted
Thread poster: Luke Mersh

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:44
Spanish to English
Sep 21, 2011

Ok so this maybe the most stupidest question ever but, as a student stating in October, I am looking for a help on structuring my time and finding out what short of things i should practice, ie.- originally I decided to spend 15-30 min on speech( shadowing or interpreting) - 30min reading from spanish books and an hour doing translations from A to B and B to A.

But I would like to know what you pro's would suggest as I am a bit confused to how ro go about it.

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:44
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Learning to Interpret- steps.procedures and structure- feedback wanted Sep 24, 2011

Can anybody provide me with some advice on preparation for interpreting.?

Cyril Flerov
United States
Local time: 19:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Interpreting Dec 16, 2011

Hello, Luke

Learning interpretation by yourself is very challenging and cannot be done, I think.
It'd similar to trying to learn to be a professional classical pianist and do it only from books.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that you start as a student, but learning interpretation is a master-disciple process when you get theoretical knowledge and practical advice on how to approach certain situations. So as a student you need constant feedback otherwi
... See more
Hello, Luke

Learning interpretation by yourself is very challenging and cannot be done, I think.
It'd similar to trying to learn to be a professional classical pianist and do it only from books.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that you start as a student, but learning interpretation is a master-disciple process when you get theoretical knowledge and practical advice on how to approach certain situations. So as a student you need constant feedback otherwise you ll internalize incorrect ways of doing things. It ll be extremely difficult to relearn afterwards. You need to be able to observe professional interpreters in class or in a booth to note style, behavior, mannerisms, tone of voice, how they "attack" certain problems. Eventually, your objective is to develop your own style based on all the observations and your own experience as a professional. It is internalizing an entire way of thinking and behaving and it cannot be done from exercises, only from another professional interpreter.

So the first thing you need to do is to try to find a mentor, a seasoned professional interpreter with your language combination, who'll give you a general roadmap for learning the skills. It ll take years to get to a decent level but the process is very interesting.

Also see what professional schools for T&I there are in your area.

Also, read Strategies of Simultaneous Interpretation by Ine Mary Van Dam.

Every success

Cyril Flerov
Russian Conference Interpreter
Adjunct Professor, GSTILE
Monterey Institute of International Studies

[Edited at 2011-12-16 19:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-16 19:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-16 19:11 GMT]
Collapse

Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:44
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
Need for mentor when starting out as an interpreter Dec 17, 2011

I second Cyril's thoughts on finding a mentor who can serve as a role model for best interpreting practices and who can provide personalised guidance. When I was just starting out as a conference interpreter, working with a more seasoned colleague as as a mentee/apprentice gave me a real head start and enabled me to learn a whole variety of practical tidbits that are impossible to glean from textbooks or formal instruction alone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning to Interpret- steps.procedures and structure- feedback wanted

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search