Thread poster: Helena Grahn

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:49
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 28, 2011

As far as I know cabin interpreters do anything from 15 to 30 mins and then swap with another interpreter that will do just as much so they can keep focused.

I have been approached recently by different outsourcers not for cabin but still as a simultaneous interpreter.

It is just that no second interpreter is required. I would be the only one. The first assignment would be over the phone for 5 hrs. I do conferences over the phone but they are consecutive interpreting. The outsourcer insists that it is simultaneous and not consecutive. I answered I have never heard of anybody doing simultaneous interpreting for 5 hrs in a row. I get the answer that of course not, we will take care of you, there will be another interpreter to do half of the time. I still do not know how as it is from home and over the phone. Can anybody enlighten me more? Has anybody ever done simultaneous interpreting over the phone?

I have done a tribunal once over the phone but it was consecutive.

The second outsourcer wants me to be with a group following them in their various visits with headphones during the presentations at the places they will be visiting. How long is each presentation going to be? It beats me. I gave them a package fee, which we were both satisfied with. However, I wonder how long can an interpreter keep on without a break? I should maybe tell the presenter to make a break after half an hr so we can continue?!

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which is it? Sep 28, 2011

You say: It is just that no second interpreter is required. I would be the only one.
Then you say: ...there will be another interpreter to do half of the time.

Which is it?

Next: How long is each presentation going to be? You can ask the outsourcer, but the truth could turn out to be very different, or maybe it would not be such a difficult assignment after all.

Personally I would never interpret over the phone, I do not hear well on the phone. But I have gone for as long as nine and a half hours without a break. I'll never do it again and I do not recommend it.

With interpreting it is very much in your interest to remain in control of your working situation. If you feel you cannot control it, don't do it.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Telephone simultaneous interpreting Sep 28, 2011

I have had more than one assignment as a telephone simultaneous interpreter and it is _very_ stressful and much more difficult than being in a booth. You _have_ to have a colleague which will switch every 15 minutes, at the max, since the concentration must be much deeper than with a regular conference (you cannot see anything, if you are lucky you have some slides you can read but this can also distract you).

I was lucky enough to have the other colleague present in my home-office with me a few times, this made it a little bit easier when switching. Still it was a very stressful experience.

hth
Giusi

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Henry Sep 29, 2011

[quote]Henry Hinds wrote:

You say: It is just that no second interpreter is required. I would be the only one.
Then you say: ...there will be another interpreter to do half of the time.

Which is it?

I meant in the second assignment there will be no second interpreter. On the first one I described involving telephone simultaneous interpreting, there will be 2 different ones.

I just do not know how they are gonna swap and after how long.

This 9 hrs in a row you mentioned, was it simultaneous over the phone? There must have been another interpreter to take turns with you surely.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tks Giusi Sep 29, 2011

I appreciate your comment.

xxxsonjaswenson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Booth Oct 30, 2011

Whether in a booth, with headsets in the back of the room, or over the phone, simultaneous interpreting requires two interpreters.

Unfortunately plenty of agencies and clients do not know or care about this. You just have to explain to the agency that you physically can not do such a job and need a colleague. If the agency refuses to budge or tries to get you a colleague but pay you each half (this one has come up a few times for me, too), just politely refuse and offer to work with them in the future should they have a sim job with 2 interpreters, or a consec job.
There will be other jobs, and other agencies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simultaneous interpreting

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search