Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can you drive and "translate" for 13.00 an hour?? Ha Ha
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
May 8, 2004

Look what came to my mailbox from Manpower. These people are off their rockers. It's actually funny:

We are looking for 5, Customer Service oriented individuals who
are able to translate Spanish to English and vice versa, and has
a clean driving record. The Chauffer will be responsible for
picking up business men who speak Spanish and drive them to
meetings around San Francisco. ***The Driver will also attend the
meetings and translate for the busi
... See more
Look what came to my mailbox from Manpower. These people are off their rockers. It's actually funny:

meetings and translate for the business men on their behalf.**** We
are looking for someone who has a ***professional look and is
comfortable wearing business attire*** as well as confident
speaking in front of others. Along with your resume, please
tell us why you would be a great candidate for the job.

Job Title: Chauffeur & Spanish to English Translator
Primary Skills: Fluent In Spanish; Translate Spanish To English
Job Industry: Services
Vacancies: 5
Job City: San Francisco
Job Metro Area: San Francisco
Job State: CA
Job Country: US
Salary: $13.00/HOURLY To $13.00/HOURLY
Hours per Week: 16
Start Date: 05/27/2004
Job Duration: 0 - 3 months
Degree Type: ***HS***
Degree Area: NA
Experience Minimum: 2 Years
Certificates/Licenses: Valid and Clean Driving Record
Collapse

Maribel Pintado-Espiet
Maribel Pintado-Espiet
United States
Local time: 11:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why not cook? May 8, 2004

I'm surprised that grilling tortillas is not part of this all encompassing job. Honest, I once saw a cooking program in which chefs actually cooked on the car's motor, while driving... perhaps I can send a link to manpower...

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:50
French to Spanish
+ ...
Shoeshine too, boss? May 8, 2004

-Yeah, boy, get on with it!

-Yeah, boss, thanks, boss!
Perdón. Sí, patrón. ¡Gracias, patrón!

Come on Manpower!

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
It is up to the translator to look after himself May 8, 2004

It was an interpreting assignment. The client wanted me to take down whatever he was dictating in the form of minutes, while at the same time interpret for the French visitor. Afterwards I was to translate the minutes into French for the visitor.

I just looked at the client and remarked drily that taking down dictations was his secretary's job and I would have nothing to do with it. The client tried to bluff his way through but I just told him no and that was that. However I offered
... See more
It was an interpreting assignment. The client wanted me to take down whatever he was dictating in the form of minutes, while at the same time interpret for the French visitor. Afterwards I was to translate the minutes into French for the visitor.

I just looked at the client and remarked drily that taking down dictations was his secretary's job and I would have nothing to do with it. The client tried to bluff his way through but I just told him no and that was that. However I offered to translate the typed minutes into French.

The client had no other go but to agree.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

donlee23 (X)
donlee23 (X)
Local time: 09:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Driving and Translating May 8, 2004

They are referring to "oral translations" for visitors from Spain/Latin America who may not speak English well or at all. I and my bi and multi lingual native guides in Central America provide the same type of services for visitors from North America and Europe who require it. My mother is from Europe and I grew up in New York speaking several languages. Maybe I shall post this offer with The El Salvadorian American friends of mine in San Francisco who are bi lingual and often work 2 or 3 jobs i... See more
They are referring to "oral translations" for visitors from Spain/Latin America who may not speak English well or at all. I and my bi and multi lingual native guides in Central America provide the same type of services for visitors from North America and Europe who require it. My mother is from Europe and I grew up in New York speaking several languages. Maybe I shall post this offer with The El Salvadorian American friends of mine in San Francisco who are bi lingual and often work 2 or 3 jobs in the US a week in order to send money home to their familes. An extra $200 or so goes a long way down here. LOL. Ha Ha
D. Lee The Polyglots Central America Translations, Localizations, Multi-Lingual Publishing & Tourism(Business and Pleasure)
www.thepolyglots.com
www.multilingual-publishing.com
www.centralamericalanguagetours.com
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interpreting is not translating May 8, 2004

[quote]donlee23 wrote:

They are referring to "oral translations" for visitors from Spain/Latin America who may not speak English well or at all. \

Fair enough. SO then you pay for a chauffeur, at least 15.00 dollars and hour and you pay for interpreting another 25.00 an hour at least and you come up with 40.00 an hour at least. I have no quibble with making extra money but 13.00 an hour in SAN FRANCISCO for two jobs at once is a RIP OFF.
I have no idea about Central America but in the US this is called liaison interpreting, it's a kind of consecutive/simulataneous. It's not translation. Translation is writing. So, for two jobs at once, the second - interpreting- requiring considerable skill, 13.00 an hour is a great, big rip off. These people at Manpower are just trying to see what they can get away with and have NO CLUE what it takes to interpret. Being bilingual doesn't qualify one for being an interpreter. You can be bilingual and not be able to interpreter.

No one should work for this amount. Even a really good professional chauffeur, I mean a real chauffeur, does not get paid a measley 13.oo an hour. No even a bilingual secretary makes that little. It's a joke and I have told them so.

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Moraleja May 8, 2004

.....the sad side of things is that someone will do it....

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Markets May 9, 2004

The price is the price. A rip off to one person is not a rip off to another.

I can see an unemployed person picking up this job for the few months advertized. It could be good experience and perhaps a key stepping stone in their career.

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
THe other side of the coin!!!! May 9, 2004

[quote]Edward Potter wrote:

The price is the price. A rip off to one person is not a rip off to another.

Hi Edward! Since you are writing from outside the US, let me clarify some issues.

I agree with you that what is a rip off for one may be bonanza for others. Yet, the parameters of this "offer" are, to state it as the understatement of the year, ridiculous.

Let me tell you what my wife and I ask for an interpreting assignment in South Carolina. Perhap, to give you a reference, I should tell you that a house that in San Francisco goes for 500K or over, in SC will fetch $150 or 200K, at best! Clearly, South Carolina's prices are not San Francisco's.

OK. With that as a reference, we ask for two hour minimum, round trip. Our clock starts ticking when we leave our home and stops when we are back. We charge for the driving even if we are our own chauffers!Our fees? Well, let me tell you this: we couldn't stop laughing when an agency offered us $30 per hour, one and one half hour min. Of course, we did not strike a deal with that "agency." Other "agencies" and other "interpreters", of course, may think that 13 dollars per hour is a great deal. Needless to say, they are not professional "interpreters." Of course, the "agency" that Jane was talking about -- I am sure -- did not tell their client how deep in the barrel they were scraping to get somebody to provide the service at that price.

I have no problem with the price offered, as long as the "agency" tells the client what they are targeting as service providers.

[Edited at 2004-05-09 11:49]

Hm, hm May 9, 2004

Should one first drive and interpret later, or interpret and then continue driving ?? Who knows, maybe they need a simultaneous interpreter???

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
Italian to English
+ ...
hmm May 9, 2004

Beats me how anyone can concentrate enough to interpret well AND drive at the same time! Are we going to see more and more 'interpreting accidents' on our roads...?
Don't drive and interpret, I say.

Enjoy your Sundays.

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 18:50
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
:)) sad but true :)) May 9, 2004

sad (also funny) but true)
there are a lot of people who "imagine" that translator's/interpreter's work is kind of a stuff)

I think that they forgot one thing - they had to indicate also whether their guest are "traditional" or "homosexual" oriented just add a couple of bucks to the
... See more
sad (also funny) but true)
there are a lot of people who "imagine" that translator's/interpreter's work is kind of a stuff)

I think that they forgot one thing - they had to indicate also whether their guest are "traditional" or "homosexual" oriented just add a couple of bucks to the driver's - interpreters "money" and the sucessful candidates could entertain their guests as well (e.g. during a culmination of the business meeting - the informal side of it) some vodka, some girls/guys...who could speak both Spanish and English) and who could even translate condom user's manuals))

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

meetings and translate for the business men on their behalf.**** We
are looking for someone who has a ***professional look and is
comfortable wearing business attire*** as well as confident
speaking in front of others. Along with your resume, please
tell us why you would be a great candidate for the job.

Job Title: Chauffeur & Spanish to English Translator
Primary Skills: Fluent In Spanish; Translate Spanish To English
Job Industry: Services
Vacancies: 5
Job City: San Francisco
Job Metro Area: San Francisco
Job State: CA
Job Country: US
Salary: $13.00/HOURLY To $13.00/HOURLY
Hours per Week: 16
Start Date: 05/27/2004
Job Duration: 0 - 3 months
Degree Type: ***HS***
Degree Area: NA
Experience Minimum: 2 Years
Certificates/Licenses: Valid and Clean Driving Record
Collapse

IrinaGM
IrinaGM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Georgian
+ ...
I agree with Marius May 10, 2004

"sad (also funny) but true )
there are a lot of people who "imagine" that translator's/interpreter's work is kind of a stuff"

I am a professional conference/simultaneous interpreter and I've had a lot of people tell me that they wished they had a job like mine where they could just talk, travel and make tons of money. Unfortunately very few realise how hard it is. But all we can do is "educate" these kind of people or at least try to.

People who are looking for
... See more
"sad (also funny) but true )
there are a lot of people who "imagine" that translator's/interpreter's work is kind of a stuff"

I am a professional conference/simultaneous interpreter and I've had a lot of people tell me that they wished they had a job like mine where they could just talk, travel and make tons of money. Unfortunately very few realise how hard it is. But all we can do is "educate" these kind of people or at least try to.

People who are looking for interpreters at this kind of rate (13 USD per hour) probably don't care about the quality of work. Because everyone knows the real fees for professional interpreting. Don't worry, they'll get what they pay for

Cheers,
Irina
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
This may be illegal May 10, 2004

The qualifications listed did not include a chauffeur's license. In most states, and I cannot imagine that California is an exception, driving passengers for pay requires a separate endorsement of the driver's license. The job listing didn't appear to offer insurance coverage, either. Even if the pay were appropriate for the job, there are legal liabilities involved which would exclude any sensible person from getting involved.

VMT TRADUCE (X)
VMT TRADUCE (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:50
English to Italian
+ ...
...as someone said May 11, 2004

... "the sad thing is that someone will do it..."
I would add:
... "the sad thing is that someone will do it... BECAUSE THEY NEED THE MONEY!!" ...even though too little for that job and even though it looks terrible to drive a car and be a professional translator too..."

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you drive and "translate" for 13.00 an hour?? Ha Ha

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »