Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 26, 2004

My mom wanted for me to be a lawyer.
My dad wanted for me to be an engineer.
I wanted to be a sailor, fighter pilot, or soldier.

But I became an interpreter.

And I've worked with engineers.
I've worked with lawyers.
I've been in planes, submarines and tanks.

I wanted to see the world. And the world comes to see me.

I've been in places I never thought.

An industrial complex
A water treatment plant... See more
My mom wanted for me to be a lawyer.
My dad wanted for me to be an engineer.
I wanted to be a sailor, fighter pilot, or soldier.

An industrial complex
A water treatment plant
A submarine
An aircraft repair facility
The Congress of the Republic
The Courts
Military bases
The best hotels and restaurants
Hospitals
Weddings
Parties
Embassies
Movie studios
etc., etc., etc.

God, how I love this job!

Regards

Edwal
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:34
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I second it May 26, 2004

I have never left India, nor do I want to. When friends tell me that with my qualifications, I can easily settle abroad, I tell them that on the other hand, the other countries come to my doorstep in the form of books and other reading materials in German and French. Indeed, our profession is quite good.

And I fully concur with your views.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:04
Portuguese to English
Bravo... May 26, 2004

Very nicely put, Edwal. No doubt whatsoever that this can be the best part of the job next to working in your pajamas with your favorite brand of coffee.

Translators and interpreters are very much akin to journalists: we get to experience big things from the standpoint of a neutral third party so intensely implicated in what is happening that we, and only we, are qualified to relay the information to the masses.

Maybe this isn't so "off topic" after all. Any translator
... See more
Very nicely put, Edwal. No doubt whatsoever that this can be the best part of the job next to working in your pajamas with your favorite brand of coffee.

Translators and interpreters are very much akin to journalists: we get to experience big things from the standpoint of a neutral third party so intensely implicated in what is happening that we, and only we, are qualified to relay the information to the masses.

Maybe this isn't so "off topic" after all. Any translator or interpreter approaching the job this way is likely to experience tremendous satisfaction, for sure.

Very eloquently said... congratulations, and thanks for putting it into words.

Todd
Collapse

lucrecia giorgi (X)
lucrecia giorgi (X)
I admire you! May 27, 2004

Hello Edwal,I've just become a member. I admire your job as an Interpreter and it's my dream to do what you people are doing, in fact I think it's all people's dream to really enjoy what they do, to love their job and it's great to express that feeling when it arrives at your life!! Congratulations

Edwal Rospigliosi
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The life of those like us May 28, 2004

I started this thread because when I arrived home I was still elated by all the experiences of that day, and I had to share them with you.

Yes, this profession can give you so many satisfactions. Today, I spent my day in the bowels of a machinery that is bigger than my apartment (and a lot cleaner, too ). Last week, I was in the cargo section of an aircraft. Next week, I will be in other city, visiting construction
... See more
I started this thread because when I arrived home I was still elated by all the experiences of that day, and I had to share them with you.

Yes, this profession can give you so many satisfactions. Today, I spent my day in the bowels of a machinery that is bigger than my apartment (and a lot cleaner, too ). Last week, I was in the cargo section of an aircraft. Next week, I will be in other city, visiting construction projects. I have enough anecdotes to write a book.

I meet new people all the time. Never mind how old my jokes are, I can tell them again and again. I've gone partying with people from many countries. I learned how to toast and curse in many languages! I love to show the wonders of my country, and it's a new experience each time.

When you compare that with spending your day in an office, looking through the window and bored out of your mind, you know you chose well.

Yes, Narasimham, you are right. Why leave your country to see the world when the world comes to you? And for people like us, who love reading, to be paid for that! ain't it great?

Regards to everybody

Edwal

[Edited at 2004-05-28 01:37]
Collapse

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
How true! Jun 12, 2004

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

God, how I love this job!

Regards

Edwal

I join you wholeheartedly. I so love this job!!! It is more fascinating than anyone's I know. I've worked with people from all walks of life, presidents to prostitutes, and wouldn't trade this job for any other!!!

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You forgot the helicopter Jun 13, 2004

Or do I beat you?

Edwal, I'm just afraid I'm also competing for your record about the apartment...

[Edited at 2004-06-13 23:15]

Edwal Rospigliosi
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An helicopter Jun 13, 2004

Well, in fact I was in an helicopter once, for some aerial shots in a videoclip.

But this whole week I'm working at an aircraft-repair facility, so you can expect a lot of photos at my site!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I love this job...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »