Is it worth doing the DPSI ?
Thread poster: robinredbreast
robinredbreast
robinredbreast
Local time: 03:01
Apr 13, 2012

I am thinking of staring a career in interpreting and translation but after reading about ALS I am now wondering is there is any point in doing the DPSI and getting on the register?

Based on the fact that you can work for the NHS with Community Interpreting level 3 the DPSI is obvioulsy less attractive. Of course I understand that in a way I am now part of the problem that ALS have created i.e people in need of money will be less inclined to train for the best qualifications when th
... See more
I am thinking of staring a career in interpreting and translation but after reading about ALS I am now wondering is there is any point in doing the DPSI and getting on the register?

Based on the fact that you can work for the NHS with Community Interpreting level 3 the DPSI is obvioulsy less attractive. Of course I understand that in a way I am now part of the problem that ALS have created i.e people in need of money will be less inclined to train for the best qualifications when they can get work without qualifications or with "lower level" qualifications.

Ideally I'd love to do the DPSI but when you balance the expense and the time with the reward I'm not sure it's worth it, especially for someone like me who primarily wants to work in health.

I'd be grateful to hear the other side.

Thanks
Collapse

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
English to Polish
+ ...
NHS and DPSI Apr 13, 2012

Try doing some research how interpreting for the NHS works at the moment.

You will not work directly for the NHS, this is just not an option.

You will find that they use a few (in my experience mainly two) big agencies for both their face to face and telephone interpreting needs.

Telephone interpreting has been gradually and steadily taking over. The rates are not great.

Having a DPSI will not make any difference to the rates you are going
... See more
Try doing some research how interpreting for the NHS works at the moment.

You will not work directly for the NHS, this is just not an option.

You will find that they use a few (in my experience mainly two) big agencies for both their face to face and telephone interpreting needs.

Telephone interpreting has been gradually and steadily taking over. The rates are not great.

Having a DPSI will not make any difference to the rates you are going to be earning doing NHS work, but it _might_ make a difference with a few agencies who receive too many applications and regularly turn some intepreters down.

Having DPSI on your CV might make them think twice about filing your CV away in the never-never folder.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it worth doing the DPSI ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »