https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/22475-is_there_anybody_taking_metropolitan_police_interpreting_test_this_july.html

Is there anybody taking Metropolitan Police Interpreting Test this July?
Thread poster: Monika Sojka
Monika Sojka
Monika Sojka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:57
Member (2003)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 29, 2004

Hello. Is there anybody taking Metropolitan Police Interpreting Test this July? Or maybe someone who has managed to go through it and survived can voice his/her opinion?
I would really appreciate some comments as I am now going through the past papers and it doesn't look too easy:)

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-06-29 23:45]

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Simultaneous translation was the hard part. Jun 30, 2004

Hi Moonia,

I took the Metropolitan test in Dutch last year. I prepared for it extensively by studying a special glossary with police language (one of my less cheerful glossaries). I passed in 5 out of 6 parts, but I failed the simultaneous translation because it contained very long, convoluted sentences and although I've translated in court and in interview rooms, it floored me. You must keep going, even if you miss some parts, but the stress got to me and I lost the structure of th
... See more
Hi Moonia,

I took the Metropolitan test in Dutch last year. I prepared for it extensively by studying a special glossary with police language (one of my less cheerful glossaries). I passed in 5 out of 6 parts, but I failed the simultaneous translation because it contained very long, convoluted sentences and although I've translated in court and in interview rooms, it floored me. You must keep going, even if you miss some parts, but the stress got to me and I lost the structure of the sentence. The translation part went fine; it served to remind me that I'm no longer used to writing at that speed in long-hand anymore, it was a mad scrawl. The role-play with the examiners posing as a police officer and an alleged offender was fun for me. I know the emphasis lies on translating both the content and the tone of the interviewee's replies. At one point, the examiners fell out of their role when I was asked to tell the 'offender' she was still under caution. She replied that she didn't know what that meant and then it emerged that the 'police officer' didn't know either. Fortunately, I remembered.
Collapse

Monika Sojka
Monika Sojka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hello and thank you Jun 30, 2004

Anne, thank you for all your comments. I have just taken DPSI the legal option so I do have some glossaries and other background material on the Met. I will certainly go through PACE and brush up on the terminology but you never know what to expect, do you? Especially in simultaneous interpreting when you have to have ready equivalents immediately:)Thank you again and good luck with your simultaneous part!

Edlira BABAMUSTA (MCIL)
Edlira BABAMUSTA (MCIL)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Met Police Test Jun 30, 2004

Hi Moonia,

Just a quick note.

If you have just taken DPSI the legal option I can tell you the Met Police will be a piece of cake for you.

DPSI is far more difficult and professional and requires a lot of work.

I found Met Police Test very easy (may be it is getting tougher -:) and as one of the previous colleagues mentioned it is easier if you have worked for the police or courts.

Well, I wish you all the best with both of th
... See more
Hi Moonia,

Just a quick note.

If you have just taken DPSI the legal option I can tell you the Met Police will be a piece of cake for you.

DPSI is far more difficult and professional and requires a lot of work.

I found Met Police Test very easy (may be it is getting tougher -:) and as one of the previous colleagues mentioned it is easier if you have worked for the police or courts.

Well, I wish you all the best with both of them.

Edlira
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Don't worry Jul 3, 2004

Hi Moonia,
I’ve just taken the DPSI (Health) test and I’ll probably take the MP test in December. I think they’re pretty much the same with the only difference of terminology.
What are you actually concerned about? If you work as a translator, the translation part is easy. I’ve seen in your profile you also work as an interpreter. I do, and I think the exams are very close to real situations. During the consecutive you’re allowed to ask for repetitions, but may loose marks
... See more
Hi Moonia,
I’ve just taken the DPSI (Health) test and I’ll probably take the MP test in December. I think they’re pretty much the same with the only difference of terminology.
What are you actually concerned about? If you work as a translator, the translation part is easy. I’ve seen in your profile you also work as an interpreter. I do, and I think the exams are very close to real situations. During the consecutive you’re allowed to ask for repetitions, but may loose marks if it’s more than two or three times. If you’re not confident about your simultaneous technique I’ve got hundreds of tips to give, after four years now training as an interpreter. During the simultaneous, you can’t ask for repetitions but you can signal the speaker with your hand to go slower. It’s also accepted that you correct yourself by saying “interpreter corrects him/herself”. I think you’re marked just as if you hadn’t made the mistake, but don’t quote me on that. In my exam (Spanish into English), about general anaesthetics and allergies, the speaker was saying she used to have a farm with sheep years ago. Suddenly, she was carrying a sheep-hive, it fell on her and while they stung her so I had to explain halfway through the simultaneous interpretation that I’d mistaken sheep for bees because they’re very close words in Spanish (I made them smirk). But at the end of the day I think I did well.
What the most difficult part is, IMHO, is a matter of taste. Personally, my weak point is sight translation, that mongrel.
Anyway, I’m interested in swapping material to become more familiar with the exam. I’ve got a couple of MP past papers (one of them is Anne Lee’s courtesy) and hundreds of health role plays. My main challenge is legal or police terminology.
I hope that helps.
Regards,
Javier
Collapse

vselena
vselena
English to Bulgarian
is there anybody taking MET Simultaneous Interpreting at the end of the month? Nov 22, 2007

I will appreicate some past papers, although there is only one week before I sit the exam.
I have three past papers and I am sure we can exchange with someone interested?
Please I want to pass this time - I am resitting.

Sybelle Andre
Sybelle Andre  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Dutch
+ ...
DPSI & PACE ?? Mar 6, 2009

[quote]Moonia wrote:
I have just taken DPSI the legal option so I do have some glossaries and other background material on the Met. I will certainly go through PACE

Hi, i'm thinking of doing this Metropolitan police test, but I've only just heard of it, and the more I read about it the more questions arise.

Could somebody please tell me what Moonia's DPSI and PACE mean? Maybe that will clear some of the issues..

Kati Bumbera
Kati Bumbera  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:57
Hungarian to English
+ ...
me too Mar 6, 2009

I'll probably have a go at it too. I've also done the DPSI already and so not too worried although the structure of the whole thing looks very different.

Sybelle: DPSI = Diploma in Public Service Interpreting - another slightly different interpreting exam. Look it up on the IoL website.

PACE = Police and Criminal Evidence Act - basically the law governing police interviews and other procedures. It's available online too - useful to have a look at for vocabulary and gett
... See more
I'll probably have a go at it too. I've also done the DPSI already and so not too worried although the structure of the whole thing looks very different.

Sybelle: DPSI = Diploma in Public Service Interpreting - another slightly different interpreting exam. Look it up on the IoL website.

PACE = Police and Criminal Evidence Act - basically the law governing police interviews and other procedures. It's available online too - useful to have a look at for vocabulary and getting a general idea about the police.
Collapse

moniqa (X)
moniqa (X)
Metropolitan Police Test Nov 2010 Nov 9, 2010

Hi everyone,
I am taking the Metropolitan Police Test in Polish in Nov 2010. I passed the DPSI (Law) in 2008, so I still have quite a lot of materials (DPSI papers etc). Unfortunately, I only have one MET paper from Nov 2004. If there's anyone whom I could buy past papers from or swap the papers with, I would reaaallly appreciate it if you could contact me.
I am also looking for someone who's willing to practise together before the exam. I live in London.
Thanks in advance... See more
Hi everyone,
I am taking the Metropolitan Police Test in Polish in Nov 2010. I passed the DPSI (Law) in 2008, so I still have quite a lot of materials (DPSI papers etc). Unfortunately, I only have one MET paper from Nov 2004. If there's anyone whom I could buy past papers from or swap the papers with, I would reaaallly appreciate it if you could contact me.
I am also looking for someone who's willing to practise together before the exam. I live in London.
Thanks in advance
Moniqa
Collapse

Interpreter246
Interpreter246
Interpreting for Met Police in London Nov 27, 2010

Hi all! I might be slightly of the topic here. Does anyone know what the criteria for Metropolitan Official Interpreters' list are? I keep hearing that it is virtually impossible to get on that list. I passed a Met Test last March and when submitted my application to be put on the list I was rejected. Is there anyone who managed to do it and could tell me what their requirements are? I was told you have to have passed Met Test and appear on the NRPSI which I have and I do and still no luck. Than... See more
Hi all! I might be slightly of the topic here. Does anyone know what the criteria for Metropolitan Official Interpreters' list are? I keep hearing that it is virtually impossible to get on that list. I passed a Met Test last March and when submitted my application to be put on the list I was rejected. Is there anyone who managed to do it and could tell me what their requirements are? I was told you have to have passed Met Test and appear on the NRPSI which I have and I do and still no luck. Thanks all.Collapse

Inês Dionisio
Inês Dionisio
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
qualifications Aug 10, 2011

Hi all!

I am new in this... I have just finished community interpreting level 3 and have stardet to work. I'm absolutly pasionat about it!
Although I feel the need of having more qualifications. It would be good to go on all these testes that you've been writing about, but I have no idea where to start and how to do it.
Are all thoes testes just tests? meaning, there is no course? how do you register for does? wich one is better to do first? where can I do them?
... See more
Hi all!

I am new in this... I have just finished community interpreting level 3 and have stardet to work. I'm absolutly pasionat about it!
Although I feel the need of having more qualifications. It would be good to go on all these testes that you've been writing about, but I have no idea where to start and how to do it.
Are all thoes testes just tests? meaning, there is no course? how do you register for does? wich one is better to do first? where can I do them?

I hope you can give me a few hints!

Thanks
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hold on Aug 11, 2011

Hi Ines,

Well done with your Level 3.
I have the Met Police test and there are written translation elements to it that you might find challenging at this stage in your career development.
I'm sure somebody will be able to direct you to an appropriate next step.

Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there anybody taking Metropolitan Police Interpreting Test this July?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »