Getting Started in the Business
Thread poster: ineveryl
ineveryl
ineveryl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
French to English
Jul 9, 2004

I've interpreted for two clients off and on since October (English to French), but I would very much like to interpret full-time. I realize living in Kentucky doesn't afford me much use for full-time French interpreting (although Spanish is in high demand and Somali is in growing demand), so I've thought about moving to DC or Atlanta. I'm finishing my MA in French right now and would be looking to move in about a year. I decided to get the MA because, previously, I didn't have anything on pap... See more
I've interpreted for two clients off and on since October (English to French), but I would very much like to interpret full-time. I realize living in Kentucky doesn't afford me much use for full-time French interpreting (although Spanish is in high demand and Somali is in growing demand), so I've thought about moving to DC or Atlanta. I'm finishing my MA in French right now and would be looking to move in about a year. I decided to get the MA because, previously, I didn't have anything on paper proving I spoke the language. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I doing the right thing so far? What should be my next step?

Thank you.
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:49
French to English
+ ...
Me too. Jul 20, 2004

I am also interested in looking into making the step into interpretation. So far, I've done mostly translation work, but I have a friend in the Interpreting section at ESIT in the Sorbonne who has recommended that I give it a try. You never know if you are good at something unless you try it.

So I would like to know what steps I can take to prepare myself, what techniques can I try to start using in just starting out. I found an agency looking for phone interpreters. They say that t
... See more
I am also interested in looking into making the step into interpretation. So far, I've done mostly translation work, but I have a friend in the Interpreting section at ESIT in the Sorbonne who has recommended that I give it a try. You never know if you are good at something unless you try it.

So I would like to know what steps I can take to prepare myself, what techniques can I try to start using in just starting out. I found an agency looking for phone interpreters. They say that they would train you a little, but I am convinced that interpreting requires more preparation than that. Suggestions?
Collapse

Yoanna
Yoanna  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:49
English to Polish
+ ...
Turn on the TV :) Sep 7, 2004

...and try to interpret the news, etc [some general, not-too-fast paced speaches] from the language you have translated from into your native language. I've had this sort of training at the University, where I have studied translating and interpreting. If this is too hard at first, try repeating quietly what the TV-person is saying, sentence after sentence.

Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting Started in the Business

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »