Would it be possible to have a powwow/exchange for interpreting?
Thread poster: N.M. Eklund

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:05
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2004

I have a suggestion that may or may not be of interest to other interpreters. Would it be possible to have a kind of workshop like twice a month organised locally so that interpreters can practice their craft with others of their same profession?

I feel that this would be a great opportunity not only to meet with other local interpreters, but to let the experienced give advice to the debutantes.
Not only that, but it is good for those looking to get some basic skills in interpreting before deciding to make the financial and time investment in a formal education.

I did this kind of thing with a writer's group and a bilingual conversation group, and it works wonderfully. If this already exists for interpreters, let me know, because I would love to participate. Especially if it is in the Paris region.

I have seen some links in other strings to useful ressources, like interpreters.free.fr, which supply helpful pointers to practicing interpreting in groups.

Everyone, this idea is really exciting to me, so please let me know what you think!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-07-20 14:17]

If there are enough people interested in the Paris area, I would be willing to try to organize such a meeting. I really think this would be worth it!!

[Edited at 2004-07-20 17:12]

Direct link Reply with quote

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Great idea!!! Jul 21, 2004

Hi, I guess I am the one who posted the interpreters.free.fr link
Unfortunately, I do not live in the Paris region, but in London and I am going to move to Poland quite soon. Well, we can work this out somehow as interpreters are generally quite nomadic.
Let's see how the proz community is going to respond. Or we can just try to organize a powwow and see what happens.
Anyway, exchanging ideas, information, hospitality and so forth could be a jolly good idea as well, since we cannot practise on our own and know absolutely everything about the business! Especially when you're a beginner.

Cheers,
Paola

Javier Herrera
Spanish
Interested Jul 22, 2004

Good idea,
I'm London-based. I would be interested in organizing that kind of groups. When I got my degree we actually always worked together and the atmosphere was very nice. It worked.
I don't think I would travel to Paris in the short term but I would think of that in the future.
What's that link? I tried www.interpreters.free.fr and it didn't work.
Cheers,
Javier

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad to have some support!! Jul 22, 2004

Javier Herrera wrote:

When I got my degree we actually always worked together and the atmosphere was very nice. It worked.

What's that link? I tried www.interpreters.free.fr and it didn't work.

I'm glad to hear this kind of thing has been tried before to some success, it only inspires me more to try to put something together.
The link is without the www. http://interpreters.free.fr/
It's really interesting, thanks to Paola for having posted it the first time.

slagboom  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it's possible! Check www.proz.com/powwow/758 Dec 29, 2005

Some 20 interpreters in Geilenkirchen, Germany plan to do a tryout in conference interpreting (2006-04-01 10:00:00) during a powwow. We are looking for more interpreters/translators, speakers and listeners/spectators to participate. Please check the site above and sign up or tell a friend. Every Proz-member is welcome, no mather if you are advanced or still a beginner.

kindest regards,
Tom Slagboom
(organiser)

[Edited at 2006-02-11 20:13]

Pablo Cañamares  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 10:05
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Une idee super! Jan 12, 2006

Je vive à la region Parisienne, et jeserais ravi d'y participer!

Diana Cossato  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Have you met already? Mar 12, 2006

Hello all!

Has this project already turned into reality? I would love to participate! (no French in my combination though).

I shall be waiting for updates!

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Would also love to attend Apr 9, 2006

Dear all, I would also love to contribute/attend.Like Diana I don't have French in my working languages and would be interested in meeting somewhere in Germany/Switzerland or ITALY:)))

Yuen Mery Lo
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Interpreting Exchange Sep 27, 2007

Yes, I would love to try out an interpreting exchange. Am based in madrid: languages: Chinese/English/Spanish
Mery Lo
yuenmerylo_interprete@yehoo.es

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would it be possible to have a powwow/exchange for interpreting?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search