Request for information about immigration (UK)
Thread poster: Javier Herrera

Javier Herrera
Jul 22, 2004

Hi there,
I'm doing an interpreting assignment about immigration soon. I'd like some resources about this issue, something basic. Of course, I'm getting my client to post my some information but I'd like to have as much as possiblel. Any glossaries (EN/ES)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
what I think and what I do Jul 22, 2004

Just have a look at the EU web site: you can have the same documents in two languages and there'll be plenty of pages related to immigration. Great source for glossaries. I am convinced it is always better to read documents, underline new words/expressions, see the equivalent in the source/target language and build your own glossary. Other people's glossaries would just look as a list of empty words. At least that's my opinion.
Have fun!

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Informative Site Jul 22, 2004

My suggestion is that you try the site (in Portuguese): Once you have the opening page, click on the turquoise square "vistos" or "residência", then "Entrada sem Bandeiras", "extensão de vistos", "brasileiros que se casam". This is a site for Brazilians living in London and although it focuses more on students, it could be of some help. Of course, it is much easier for people from Spain as it is in the EU.
You could also try the Home Office site, this is the department of HM (Her Majesty's) Government that deals with immigration issues. This site is: (in English)
Here, click "Immigration & Nationality" at the left of the page.
Good Luck! Boa Sorte! Bueña Suerte!

Javier Herrera
Thanks Jul 25, 2004

Thanks to both.
I'm not using glossaries, I found plenty of original documents, I'm managing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for information about immigration (UK)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search