Request for information about immigration (UK)
Thread poster: Javier Herrera
Javier Herrera
Spanish
Jul 22, 2004

Hi there,
I'm doing an interpreting assignment about immigration soon. I'd like some resources about this issue, something basic. Of course, I'm getting my client to post my some information but I'd like to have as much as possiblel. Any glossaries (EN/ES)?
Thanks,
Javier

Direct link Reply with quote

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:54
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
what I think and what I do Jul 22, 2004

Just have a look at the EU web site: you can have the same documents in two languages and there'll be plenty of pages related to immigration. Great source for glossaries. I am convinced it is always better to read documents, underline new words/expressions, see the equivalent in the source/target language and build your own glossary. Other people's glossaries would just look as a list of empty words. At least that's my opinion.
Have fun!

Paola

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Informative Site Jul 22, 2004

My suggestion is that you try the site (in Portuguese):
www.leros.co.uk. Once you have the opening page, click on the turquoise square "vistos" or "residência", then "Entrada sem Bandeiras", "extensão de vistos", "brasileiros que se casam". This is a site for Brazilians living in London and although it focuses more on students, it could be of some help. Of course, it is much easier for people from Spain as it is in the EU.
You could also try the Home Office site, this is the department of HM (Her Majesty's) Government that deals with immigration issues. This site is: www.homeoffice.gov.uk (in English)
Here, click "Immigration & Nationality" at the left of the page.
Good Luck! Boa Sorte! Bueña Suerte!

Javier Herrera
Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 25, 2004

Thanks to both.
I'm not using glossaries, I found plenty of original documents, I'm managing.
Cheers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for information about immigration (UK)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search