Consecutive: how to give a "STOP" signal ?
Thread poster: Martina Rotondi
Martina Rotondi
Martina Rotondi  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 23:56
German to Italian
+ ...
Sep 25, 2012

Hi everyone,

i'm going to do my first consecutive interpretation the next week and i am wondering.. is it possible to give a signal to the person that i am interpreting for, when i think that is time for him/her to stop (if she/he don't stop) ?

Many thanks,
Martina

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:56
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Better Sep 25, 2012

to arrange a 5 minute meeting with the speaker before the event and talk them through your requirements. There are very informative articles on AIIC's and SCIC's website on tips for speakers when working with interpreters. They all refer to simultaneous interpreting, but they will give you some ideas on what to ask/tell the speakers.

... See more
to arrange a 5 minute meeting with the speaker before the event and talk them through your requirements. There are very informative articles on AIIC's and SCIC's website on tips for speakers when working with interpreters. They all refer to simultaneous interpreting, but they will give you some ideas on what to ask/tell the speakers.

Here's one example:

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/scic/working-with-interpreters/tips-for-speakers/index_en.htm
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:56
Chinese to English
Very very difficult Sep 25, 2012

Diana is right - if you're worried about this, you should communicate before you go in. In the course of a meeting, the interpreter generally tries to stay as invisible as possible.

On the bright side, though, most speakers do realise that it's not feasible to speak beyond the ability of a translator to translate. Just in terms of room management: after two minutes of speech in a foreign language, people on the other side of the table/in the audience are falling asleep. You should b
... See more
Diana is right - if you're worried about this, you should communicate before you go in. In the course of a meeting, the interpreter generally tries to stay as invisible as possible.

On the bright side, though, most speakers do realise that it's not feasible to speak beyond the ability of a translator to translate. Just in terms of room management: after two minutes of speech in a foreign language, people on the other side of the table/in the audience are falling asleep. You should be able to do stretches of speech up to about ten minutes, so there's lots of leeway there!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Consecutive: how to give a "STOP" signal ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »