Thread poster: Lene Johansen
Lene Johansen
Lene Johansen  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:29
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2013

Hi guys,

I have received several requests for interpretation on conferences lately, and I am not sure how to quote a price when there is a few hours one day and a few hours another. Most of my experience is with depositions, where I work full days. I would presume that I would charge my hourly rate for 3 full days if the assignments span 3 workdays, even if it is 90 minutes one day and 45 minutes on another day. What is the common practice in situations like this?

Thank
... See more
Hi guys,

I have received several requests for interpretation on conferences lately, and I am not sure how to quote a price when there is a few hours one day and a few hours another. Most of my experience is with depositions, where I work full days. I would presume that I would charge my hourly rate for 3 full days if the assignments span 3 workdays, even if it is 90 minutes one day and 45 minutes on another day. What is the common practice in situations like this?

Thanks,

Lene
Collapse

Timote Suladze
Timote Suladze  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:29
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Too little Jan 4, 2013

Lene Johansen wrote:

I would presume that I would charge my hourly rate for 3 full days

Not hourly, but daily or at least 1/2 day rate. You should have a minimum charge for interpreting, especially for conference interpreting.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:29
Chinese to English
Daily rate Jan 4, 2013

As Timote says, for conferences it's common just to charge daily rates, or half days if you think that's reasonable. No need to offer hourly rates at all. When I was trained, we were advised that half day rates don't really make sense, as you can't realistically do two conferences in one day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for dispersed sessions?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »