Interpreting mode for court orders
Thread poster: Nicholas Ferreira

Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2013

Hi, I'm a staff interpreter in the Ontario Criminal Courts.

I've got a question about which interpretation mode to use in the following scenario:

I'm using whispered simultaneous interpreting for the accused at the defense table at the start of a proceedings. I know there are other Spanish speakers in the body of the court, including possible witnesses. The judge gives an exclusion of witnesses order. Should I break off my whispered simultaneous and switch to consecutive out loud so that everyone in the court can hear the order? Any rules on this?

I know in the past the judge has given the order, only to see the witnesses sitting in during the testimony. I want to find the best way to handle this situation and also to tell my student interpreters in the college course I teach.

Thank you, fellow court interpreters!

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mention to Judge Mar 19, 2013

Mention this problem to the judge and suggest that the anouncement excluding witnesses (invoking "the rule") be made to the entire courtroom audience in Spanish.

Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Mar 19, 2013

Hi Henry,

Nice to see you again!

Yes, that's a good point. That's what I did on Monday when interpreting the conditions of a peace bond with the complainant in the body of the court. I knew she would be interested to hear the conditions as well, so I asked the judge to have the Crown attorney begin reading the conditions again and switched to consecutive in a voice for all to hear.

I was just curious if there was a written convention on that somewhere for me to refer to. I guess I can always say "Henry Hinds has spoken" should anyone askicon_wink.gif

Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"the rule"? Mar 19, 2013

Henry Hinds wrote:

Mention this problem to the judge and suggest that the anouncement excluding witnesses (invoking "the rule") be made to the entire courtroom audience in Spanish.

By the way, what do you mean by "invoking 'the rule'"?

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Generally -- I would not. Mar 19, 2013

You only switch to consecutive when your witness is being deposed. You can, of course ask the judge, but better just ask someone from your interpreting department.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Rule Mar 19, 2013

Of course you can always say "Henry Hinds has spoken", but to me what I recommend is merely common sense.

Now, "the rule". That is how they say it here (El Paso, TX), I do not know about the rest of the USA and nothing of Canada. It is rather cryptic so many would say "what rule?" What is understood is that all potential witnesses must leave and remain outside the courtroom so they are not influenced by the testimony of others. It is certainly not the only rule pertaining to court hearings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting mode for court orders

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search