no instruments but good memory in consecutive interpreting
Thread poster: anamia06
anamia06
anamia06
Local time: 06:01
Romanian to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2013

Some say that memory and memorizing is the key, others that only focusing on just the main idea of the discussion is essential. Some interpreters render as much details as they can when interpreting, others only the basic ideas omitting figures, dates, etc.
However, how do you cope with consecutive interpretation (technical/IT register) when a group of people is involved and there is no way that you can have even the smallest notepad in your hands to jot down some helping notes? Are there
... See more
Some say that memory and memorizing is the key, others that only focusing on just the main idea of the discussion is essential. Some interpreters render as much details as they can when interpreting, others only the basic ideas omitting figures, dates, etc.
However, how do you cope with consecutive interpretation (technical/IT register) when a group of people is involved and there is no way that you can have even the smallest notepad in your hands to jot down some helping notes? Are there other tools beside a very good memory in this case? I sometimes have problems when interpreting for engineers during these meetings, who give too many technical details in endless sentences and at some moments I feel like I'm lost in translation, especially when they go very deep in their technical world. Is my memory at fault or just my focusing on the topic or do I need to be trained in engineering issues? Do I need to give as many technical details as I can or just the basic info of the discussion? Have you ever experienced interpreting without understanding the whole meaning of the issue?

[Editat la 2013-04-01 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hm... Apr 1, 2013

1. Interpreting requires formal training. Make sure you do a Masters degree.

2. Only take on assignments if you are familiar with the subject matter. If you are not, ask for preparation material (documents they will use in the meeting, etc.). If these are not provided, reject the job.

3. No, YOU NEVER OMIT DATES AND FIGURES.

4. The pen and pad ARE AN INTERPRETER'S TOOLS OF THE TRADE. ALWAYS HAVE THESE IN YOUR HAND AND TAKE NOTES. EVEN WHEN STANDING/FOLLOWIN
... See more
1. Interpreting requires formal training. Make sure you do a Masters degree.

2. Only take on assignments if you are familiar with the subject matter. If you are not, ask for preparation material (documents they will use in the meeting, etc.). If these are not provided, reject the job.

3. No, YOU NEVER OMIT DATES AND FIGURES.

4. The pen and pad ARE AN INTERPRETER'S TOOLS OF THE TRADE. ALWAYS HAVE THESE IN YOUR HAND AND TAKE NOTES. EVEN WHEN STANDING/FOLLOWING PEOPLE AROUND.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Equipment Apr 1, 2013

The are recorders available with which you can instantly record a speaker's statement and then replay it and interpret simultaneously from the recording. I have never seen or used such equipment myself, but I would advise you to look into it. I have heard that it really works.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:01
Russian to English
+ ...
I am afraid, there are no other tools, than your memory, very good knowledge of both languages Apr 1, 2013

and years of training. You don't necessarily have to have a Master's Degree in interpreting -- I don't even know if there are any such programs in the US. Of course, you need some kind of a university degree, but sometimes an engineer may be even a much better interpreter in technical matters than someone with a Master's Degree in Interpreting. You really have to train a lot. At least an hour every day in the beginning. It may take you some time to get proficient, but you will get there, if you ... See more
and years of training. You don't necessarily have to have a Master's Degree in interpreting -- I don't even know if there are any such programs in the US. Of course, you need some kind of a university degree, but sometimes an engineer may be even a much better interpreter in technical matters than someone with a Master's Degree in Interpreting. You really have to train a lot. At least an hour every day in the beginning. It may take you some time to get proficient, but you will get there, if you like to interpret.

For certain seminar interpreting, you can request materials beforehand, to be able to go through the vocabulary, at least. This is related more to simultaneous interpreting, though. In legal interpreting there is no such a thing.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Basics Apr 2, 2013

anamia06 wrote:

Some interpreters (...) only (render) the basic ideas omitting figures, dates, etc.

They are bad interpreters.

anamia06 wrote:
However, how do you cope with consecutive interpretation (technical/IT register) when a group of people is involved and there is no way that you can have even the smallest notepad in your hands to jot down some helping notes?

There are no such situations. You can always have a notepad unless a) you are performing a juggling act while interpreting or b) the client forbids you from using notes.
a) has never happened to me, and in case of b), I would ask them why - and if they really insist, I'd tell them to go one sentence at a time.

[Edited at 2013-04-02 09:16 GMT]

anamia06
anamia06
Local time: 06:01
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
agree agree Apr 2, 2013

Many thanks to all of you for your prompt answers!

I do agree that training is almost everything and one need more than a lot of practice in interpreting so now, after two years of maternity leave, I'll roll up my sleeves and buckle down to the work again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

no instruments but good memory in consecutive interpreting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »