https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/248065-dpsi_exam_and_course_in_london.html

DPSI exam and course in London
Thread poster: KKanok
KKanok
KKanok
United Kingdom
English to Czech
Apr 30, 2013

Hello everyone,

I have just come across this brilliant web site

I am currently working as a freelance interpreter for a company that is subcontracted by mainly the Dept for Work and Pensions. My work mainly involves telephone interpreting for the Job Centre, MHRC, Tax office, Benefit office, NHS, Police, etc

I want to further my options and have decided to go for the DPSI exam in Local Government as I think this one would be the most suitable with regards t
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have just come across this brilliant web site

I am currently working as a freelance interpreter for a company that is subcontracted by mainly the Dept for Work and Pensions. My work mainly involves telephone interpreting for the Job Centre, MHRC, Tax office, Benefit office, NHS, Police, etc

I want to further my options and have decided to go for the DPSI exam in Local Government as I think this one would be the most suitable with regards to my current job?

My main question is:

if I am already work in this sector, how easy will it be for me to pass the exam without attending a course?
or
where is the best place in London to do a course?

My language is Czech and I have been doing this work for a year now.

Thanks for any help!!

Kate
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:59
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
To course or not to course Apr 30, 2013

Hi Kate and welcome!

I can't really comment on the DPSI as I'm a translator and not an interpreter. However, I did the DipTrans from the CIoL twice without taking a course, although I do know that newcomers to the industry find the course worthwhile. As you say, you are not a newcomer so I would think that you could just sit the exam.
However, with the DipTrans you can buy past papers and practice at home, which enables you to gauge your ability and I don't know whether this i
... See more
Hi Kate and welcome!

I can't really comment on the DPSI as I'm a translator and not an interpreter. However, I did the DipTrans from the CIoL twice without taking a course, although I do know that newcomers to the industry find the course worthwhile. As you say, you are not a newcomer so I would think that you could just sit the exam.
However, with the DipTrans you can buy past papers and practice at home, which enables you to gauge your ability and I don't know whether this is feasible, or whether this option exists with the DPSI.
It does sound like the ideal qualification for you though.
If you want to find courses, you can look here: http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_dpsi.asp

You need to scroll down to the bottom to see the preparation courses near you.

You might also want to browse the forum archives as I'm sure you're not the first to ask themselves the same thing:

http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/120575-dpsi_how_many_of_you_got_it_without_attending_a_course.html

I'm not sure if the system with the DPSI is similar to the DipTrans where you can apply for membership to the CIoL if you pass but I highly recommend membership. It's a fantastic network.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
Spanish to English
Dpsi London Apr 30, 2013

Hi there.
I am just about to take my dpsi exam in london in healthcare.
for more info: www.iol.org.uk

regards

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
After 1 year Apr 30, 2013

you are still a newcomer! No doubt about that

The course will teach you a lot of things you've never even considered, believe me. A trainer's feedback is also invaluable!

They normally cost around £500-650, so I'd rather pass having taken a course than fail having not taken it.

I am doing the
... See more
you are still a newcomer! No doubt about that

The course will teach you a lot of things you've never even considered, believe me. A trainer's feedback is also invaluable!

They normally cost around £500-650, so I'd rather pass having taken a course than fail having not taken it.

I am doing the DPSI Online course at the moment: http://www.dpsionline.co.uk/

Another suggestion is to take advantage of separate revision webinars. Take a look here: http://www.dpsionline.co.uk/webinars.html

In London, I think it was London Met University that was doing the DPSI preparation courses, so you can check that too.

Good luck!!
Collapse

KKanok
KKanok
United Kingdom
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 30, 2013

Hi all,

thank you for your replies.

I know I am still a newcomer after 1 year hehe

The dpsionline only do Health and Law and I am interested in Local Government... so have to find some other course ...

London Met University only do Law as far as I can see......

Anyone had any experience with any of the following?

London School of Global Business
Ha
... See more
Hi all,

thank you for your replies.

I know I am still a newcomer after 1 year hehe

The dpsionline only do Health and Law and I am interested in Local Government... so have to find some other course ...

London Met University only do Law as far as I can see......

Anyone had any experience with any of the following?

London School of Global Business
Hammersmith and Fulham Adult learning
Middlesex University
Hemel Hempsted Interpreting
University of West London

Or can recommend a good place to take the course?

Thank you!!!
Collapse

carol so
carol so  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Herts Interpreting and Translation Service Apr 30, 2013

By Hemel Hempstead Interpreting I think you mean Herts Interpreting and Translation Service. I trained with them and luckily passed my DPSI the first attempt, and I strongly recommend the course to anyone who are looking for a DPSI preparation course.

The trainers are brilliant, very professional and experienced, and more importantly, very supportive. The course is well organised with lots of references and information to pass on, as well as adequate practices and feedback. The atmo
... See more
By Hemel Hempstead Interpreting I think you mean Herts Interpreting and Translation Service. I trained with them and luckily passed my DPSI the first attempt, and I strongly recommend the course to anyone who are looking for a DPSI preparation course.

The trainers are brilliant, very professional and experienced, and more importantly, very supportive. The course is well organised with lots of references and information to pass on, as well as adequate practices and feedback. The atmosphere is always good and encouraging. If you have a look on their website you will find a list of people who have passed their DPSI, and you will be amazed some just love it so much and carry on with their second or even third DPSI!

I did DipTrans myself without taking a course, and I just practiced with past papers and articles from magazines and newspaper etc. But I would definitely recommend the preparation course if you are taking the DPSI- it's so important to practice with someone else, esp for the simultaneous part of the exam.
Collapse

Ewa Dabrowska
Ewa Dabrowska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
plenty to choose from May 1, 2013

There are many courses you can take; South Thames College (where I teach) offers day time and evening courses; Metropolitan Uni and COllege of North West London are among other options. Some course only recruit particular languages or if there is more than one person for the same language combination, others don't are open to all language speakers.

KKanok
KKanok
United Kingdom
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Not having much luck :( May 1, 2013

Hi Eva,

I'm not having much luck finding a course for me....

All the three places you have mentioned don't run DPSI in Local Government which is the specification I am after.

I found that the Herts International and Translating Service do run it but is a slightly out of my way.... I was ideally looking for something in London.

Also London School of Global Business look like they run the course but there isn't a lot of info in their we site... n
... See more
Hi Eva,

I'm not having much luck finding a course for me....

All the three places you have mentioned don't run DPSI in Local Government which is the specification I am after.

I found that the Herts International and Translating Service do run it but is a slightly out of my way.... I was ideally looking for something in London.

Also London School of Global Business look like they run the course but there isn't a lot of info in their we site... need to call them

Any more ideas anyone where I can take the course?

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you
Kate
Collapse

Mira66
Mira66
Persian (Farsi) to English
DPSI May 3, 2013

you can purchase the DPSI past papers in any subject and language from the iOL,they cost around £7 for each year.
this way you can assess you own level and decide whether you might be able to pass the exam without a course.
that being said,DPSI exam is VERY difficult with very low pass rate,and it's VERY expensive.it's completely different than "standard" English language that is used for telephone interpreting,etc.

AthenaSofianou
AthenaSofianou  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:59
English to Greek
+ ...
info about the DPSI exam Nov 25, 2013

hi everyone,

i recently learned about the DPSI exam for police and court interpreters. could someone please explain me how i can apply for the exams, where i can find past papers and where i could go physically in london and ask questions specifically about it?

thanks !

Athena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI exam and course in London

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »