Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How lucrative is it to specialize in escort interpreting?
Thread poster: Jdidds
Jdidds
United States
Aug 6, 2013

I'm not an interpreter but am interested in becoming one. I was wondering if many interpreters specialize solely in escort/tourist jobs? Can one make a good living that way? Travel really appeals to me, but are there enough travel gigs to pay the bills?

Thanks so much!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:45
Member
Portuguese to English
Welcome to the forum! Aug 6, 2013

Hello there Jdidds,

Welcome to the forum and indeed to proZ.com!

As one of the moderators of this forum, I'd like to let you know that we're here to help you get the best out of this great workplace.

More general information about using the proZ.com forums can be found here:
http://www.proz.com/faq/forums.html

Rules for using the forums (to make them a more useful tool for all) can be viewed at this link: http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=forum

Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best wishes,

Mark



[Edited at 2013-08-06 13:25 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Well, escort interpreting is risky -- many people understand it as escort service Aug 6, 2013

Jdidds wrote:

I'm not an interpreter but am interested in becoming one. I was wondering if many interpreters specialize solely in escort/tourist jobs? Can one make a good living that way? Travel really appeals to me, but are there enough travel gigs to pay the bills?

Thanks so much!


with everything it may entail, at least listening to the clients all the time, consoling them,going to crowded bars, or boring shows. I would not count on it too much, because it really may turn into something else than interpreting if you don't work for very prestigious companies who know what they are doing -- like the ones providing interpreters for the UN or some top diplomats. As to tourism -- I think there might be a lot of work there, but you are expected to work more as a tourist guide, not just an interpreter, so you really have to learn the history of some places, interesting stories to tell the people in your target language. It is very interesting, and worthwhile, I think.

[Edited at 2013-08-06 14:59 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I'd rather do this: Aug 7, 2013

specialise in business interpreting and pitch my services to well-known companies. Escort interpreting is a big part of business interpreting, the way I see it, and so you accompany CEOs and executives on their business trips, visits, tours, etc. And there's nothing wrong with going to bars and shows - you're still on your job and you are getting paid.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:45
Hebrew to English
Erm.... Aug 7, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:
Well, escort interpreting is risky -- many people understand it as escort service


Like who? Bit of a difference between a linguist and a sex worker. Of course if someone were to combine the two I'm sure it would be fantastically lucrative.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:45
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Like Italians for example Aug 7, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

LilianBNekipelo wrote:
Well, escort interpreting is risky -- many people understand it as escort service


Like who? Bit of a difference between a linguist and a sex worker.


The word "escort" itself immediately recalls sexy workers, I cannot be more specific for political reasons, but I am sure you know what I am referring too.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:45
French to German
+ ...
Not only Italians Aug 7, 2013

But perhaps that's just my dirty mind

Direct link Reply with quote
 
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
Russian to English
+ ...
If you can stand it -- if you are paid well. Aug 7, 2013

Diana Coada, BA RPSI wrote:

specialise in business interpreting and pitch my services to well-known companies. Escort interpreting is a big part of business interpreting, the way I see it, and so you accompany CEOs and executives on their business trips, visits, tours, etc. And there's nothing wrong with going to bars and shows - you're still on your job and you are getting paid.


Well, I personally could not. It is sort of life an escort service without additional services. I have not personally done it, but I rejected a few offers like that.

I think you might have meant liaison interpreting. It is not called escort here. Escort is escort, although it officially does not entails anything else than going to banquets, restaurants and exhibitions -- still it is somehow challenging, because you have to listen to the person at all times, and basically go where they want you to go and pretend you like it.

[Edited at 2013-08-07 11:09 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
Russian to English
+ ...
If you can stand it -- if you are paid well. Aug 7, 2013

Diana Coada, BA RPSI wrote:

specialise in business interpreting and pitch my services to well-known companies. Escort interpreting is a big part of business interpreting, the way I see it, and so you accompany CEOs and executives on their business trips, visits, tours, etc. And there's nothing wrong with going to bars and shows - you're still on your job and you are getting paid.


Well, I personally could not. It is sort of life an escort service without additional services. I have not personally done it, but I rejected a few offers like that.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@ Lilian Aug 7, 2013

No, I did not mean liaison interpreting (which is nothing more than consecutive interpreting ).

Escort interpreting is more than sitting in a bar, Lilian. You have a very negative view of it and I'm confused as to why. The way I know it, it involves a lot of business negotiations, meetings and tours during the day (basically business interpreting) and in the evening if the businessmen wish to relax in a restaurant or bar then so be it.



[Edited at 2013-08-07 11:17 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:45
Hebrew to English
Here too! Aug 7, 2013

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

LilianBNekipelo wrote:
Well, escort interpreting is risky -- many people understand it as escort service


Like who? Bit of a difference between a linguist and a sex worker.


The word "escort" itself immediately recalls sexy workers, I cannot be more specific for political reasons, but I am sure you know what I am referring too.


If you just use the word "escort" on its own then the mind does automatically go to a certain profession, but when it's coupled with "interpreting" I don't think most people would think it's an escort with linguistic abilities ...not in actuality anyway, as for people's fantasies....


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:45
Hebrew to English
I'm quoting Diana but I'm talking to Lilian... Aug 7, 2013

Diana Coada, BA RPSI wrote:
it involves a lot of business negotiations, meetings and tours during the day (basically business interpreting) and in the evening if the businessmen wish to relax in a restaurant or bar then so be it.


...what it doesn't involve is going back to their room for a nightcap after relaxing in the bar...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:45
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
The problem is that (for Italians) Aug 7, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:
If you just use the word "escort" on its own then the mind does automatically go to a certain profession, but when it's coupled with "interpreting" I don't think most people would think it's an escort with linguistic abilities ...not in actuality anyway, as for people's fantasies....


You can couple it with whatever you want, that word always recalls sexy workers, (in Italy).

[Edited at 2013-08-07 13:24 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:45
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
(or for anyone with a dirty mind) Aug 7, 2013

For anyone else, it's a perfectly acceptable term:

http://www.mondo-services.co.uk/Escort-interpreting.329.0.html

In this type of interpretation, the interpreter accompanies the client to events such as fairs and cultural events, for example guided visits, visiting factories, tourism in cities, formal dinners, etc., where a language which the client does not speak is spoken.




although the crossover with the other meaning of "escort" is a bit of a shame.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:45
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Escort interpreting Aug 7, 2013

Judy and Dagmar Denner seem to be comfortable using the term "escort interpreter" in their work and blog:
http://translationtimes.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/great-expectations-and-funny-stories.html


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How lucrative is it to specialize in escort interpreting?

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search