Thread poster: yukatera
yukatera
yukatera
United States
Local time: 23:42
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2013

I would like to know what the current market rate for over the phone interpreters.
This is my first time looking for "phone interpreting" job (I have done translating and on site interpreting at meetings and such), and don't really have a good idea of what to expect.

Do you usually pay for your land lines yourself or does agencies compensate you for that? Is there alternative "land phone line" without actually getting one, like skype?

Should I expect "occupied" ra
... See more
I would like to know what the current market rate for over the phone interpreters.
This is my first time looking for "phone interpreting" job (I have done translating and on site interpreting at meetings and such), and don't really have a good idea of what to expect.

Do you usually pay for your land lines yourself or does agencies compensate you for that? Is there alternative "land phone line" without actually getting one, like skype?

Should I expect "occupied" rate?

Lastly, if there is any tip or things I need to be aware of please let me know! Especially tips on how to choose a reliable agencies!!!!

Thanks,

[2013-08-30 19:21 GMTに編集されました]
Collapse

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:42
Portuguese to English
Welcome to the forum Aug 30, 2013

Hello!

My name is Mark, and I am one of the moderators of this forum.

I see this is your first time posting a topic on the forum. If you need any help with forum or site use, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Mark

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 01:42
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Welcome Home Aug 30, 2013

Interpreting is an exciting field. When the phone rings, adrenaline starts pumping and I am curious as to what language this time and what scenario. ( I handle 3 languages, though I speak 6 languages)
Land line is at your expense. No call waiting facility. You are expected to pick the phone at the first ring. Some companies will need you to give a schedule: MON:... to...;Tue:....to.... etc.

No alternative to landline. no cordless phones. So it will be foolproof, no calls dropp
... See more
Interpreting is an exciting field. When the phone rings, adrenaline starts pumping and I am curious as to what language this time and what scenario. ( I handle 3 languages, though I speak 6 languages)
Land line is at your expense. No call waiting facility. You are expected to pick the phone at the first ring. Some companies will need you to give a schedule: MON:... to...;Tue:....to.... etc.

No alternative to landline. no cordless phones. So it will be foolproof, no calls dropped, even if there is no power, no handset battery dead situation.

Occupancy: for me is 15-20% but this is a different type of vocation: you will have to be present when some one needs you across time zones. not like I am available so I need work.
Collapse

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 00:42
Phone interpreters Feb 27, 2014

As everyone needs (Phone interpreter) to be fluent in both the languages of the two parties. The interpreter that you choose should also have a clear voice that is easy to understand with very little traces of a dialect. The current rates for phone interpreters is 30 to 50 cents per minute.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Current rates for phone interpreters

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »