Tim Friese
Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2013

In depositions in the US, the attorney generally starts by saying that the deposition is being taken according to rules of civil procedure (in the case of civil cases), etc. Do you normally interpret this bit?

I ask because I had done about 20 depositions without interpreting it and last week the attorney made an issue and demanded that I interpret this. Do you know where I can find a copy of this notice? I live in Illinois for what it's worth.

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 19:26
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 11, 2013

I do translate every word that is spoken in the room, once the hearing is started, including any swearing in/ introductions, barring coughs and murmurs etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginning of depositions in the US

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »