Thread poster: Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 12:23
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2014

Are there any interpreters here who have learned lip reading and benefit from it?
Actually I never had an occurrence where I had to learn it because as a third ear I already use it by standing in front of the person if I cannot understand her/his accent (say if s/he is a from a small village in the USA having an authentic accent) and it is useful without having the course of it.

But nowadays I do some translations for police departments where drug convicts and etc. come. So sh
... See more
Are there any interpreters here who have learned lip reading and benefit from it?
Actually I never had an occurrence where I had to learn it because as a third ear I already use it by standing in front of the person if I cannot understand her/his accent (say if s/he is a from a small village in the USA having an authentic accent) and it is useful without having the course of it.

But nowadays I do some translations for police departments where drug convicts and etc. come. So should I learn it fully for such cases or other cases may be like meetings etc. ?
Any experience or idea will be appreciated.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
Russian to English
+ ...
I personally would not find it helpful, but rather a disturbance Jan 12, 2014

and quite annoying. Sometimes it might be even hard to see the people too well, if they are in the distance, or behind somebody, not to mention seeing their lips.

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:23
English to Russian
+ ...
It sounds interesting. Jan 12, 2014

Even if you won't need it for your job (but... who knows for sure what life will bring? It might suddenly be useful in the future), it would be interesting to give it a try. I mean, if you do have both the will and the way to master a new skill.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 05:23
Romanian to English
+ ...
as I get older .... Jan 12, 2014

my hearing starts failing and I find it very useful to get a little help from lip reading, if the circumstances are favorable.

I started lip-reading on my own while being a student in law school, some 40 years ago. At the beginning it was for fun but in a few real-life circumstances it was very helpful.

Any new acquired skill might be helpful one day.

Good luck!

Lee

[Edited at 2014-01-13 13:01 GMT]

Saeed Abedin (X)
Saeed Abedin (X)
Iran
Local time: 12:53
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
no emergency need for that one...! Jan 13, 2014

Of course that would be a nice skill, but it`s not required in translation, It`s not that it wouldn't improve your skills, but it requires too much cost than it delivers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I learn lip reading?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »