https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/271105-conference_interpreting_questions_english_a.html

Conference interpreting questions (English A)
Thread poster: theplotchickens
theplotchickens
theplotchickens
Netherlands
Jun 23, 2014

Hi everyone! This might be a bit long-winded, so please stay with me.

I have been a freelance translator/interpreter for quite a while now and have always considered conference interpreting a possible career. As far as my educational background goes, I have an LLB in Global Law and an LLM in European Public Law from Tilburg University. I live in the Netherlands and I work from Italian, Spanish and French into English in a variety of fields; I specifically chose a law degree because
... See more
Hi everyone! This might be a bit long-winded, so please stay with me.

I have been a freelance translator/interpreter for quite a while now and have always considered conference interpreting a possible career. As far as my educational background goes, I have an LLB in Global Law and an LLM in European Public Law from Tilburg University. I live in the Netherlands and I work from Italian, Spanish and French into English in a variety of fields; I specifically chose a law degree because working in an institution is very appealing to me. English is my native language.

I have a few questions, namely regarding both my language combination and where I could study conference interpreting.

Language Combination

ENGLISH A

ITALIAN C (I believe that this may actually be a B language. I often work from English into Italian; I have dual Italian citizenship, have lived, worked and studied in Italy and am equally as comfortable speaking and writing Italian in a number of registers and contexts from the most informal to the most formal)

SPANISH C

FRENCH C

DUTCH C/GERMAN C?

If I wanted to add another language, say Dutch (which I am confident I speak at least a B1 level) or German (which I only speak at a basic level), which one should I choose to be most attractive to EU organizations? I am okay with taking off a few years before even applying to a conference interpreting program just to get it up to a B2/C1 level. Ideally, I would love to speak both but I wonder which one I should concentrate on now: Dutch which I already speak and can continue to learn organically by living here or German, which might be a better choice for the institutions?

Where to Study

Putting in "Italian to English" (my strongest C, and probably the least offered at schools into English at the moment) into the AIIC school finder, I get a pretty short list of places I can study. Geneva, Paris (ESIT and ISIT), Prague (though I'm doubtful it has all of my language combinations INTO English), the US and Portugal. There is only one school in the UK--Leeds. I am open to living anywhere in the world since, as a freelancer, I know I am able to work while studying to maintain at least enough to cover my expenses. I do not want to study in the US because it is prohibitively expensive. Should I probably aim for France since it's one of my C's and it's the one that's most in demand in my combination?

Thanks all!
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Better to ask your question here: Jun 24, 2014

http://interpreting.info/questions/

Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conference interpreting questions (English A)

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »