Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Interpreting rates
Thread poster: Nathalie Reis
Laura Cepkauskaite
Laura Cepkauskaite
Local time: 06:58
Lithuanian to English
Interpreting rates Mar 17, 2011

I do agree that there is a problem in the UK with fair interpreting rates if you work through the agencies. Unless if you interpret in courts, police. I am beginner in interpreting at the moment interpreting mostly in NHS. You do really need to stick to your guns when the agencies call with an offer to interpret for an hour (which is paid £18 per hour - TheBigWord agency) and it takes 3 hours to travel both ways, it is quite insulting... Last time I negotiated and the agency suggested £15 for... See more
I do agree that there is a problem in the UK with fair interpreting rates if you work through the agencies. Unless if you interpret in courts, police. I am beginner in interpreting at the moment interpreting mostly in NHS. You do really need to stick to your guns when the agencies call with an offer to interpret for an hour (which is paid £18 per hour - TheBigWord agency) and it takes 3 hours to travel both ways, it is quite insulting... Last time I negotiated and the agency suggested £15 for traveling time. But it was an emergency call as there was less than 20 hours to find somebody. However I would insist that an interpreter shouldn't' take unfair offers even if he/she is a beginner in the field.Collapse

SelenaD
SelenaD
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:58
English to Czech
+ ...
really? Mar 12, 2012

Hi,

If you charge 0.10 USD/word and you daily output (8 h) is 2500 words, you come up with 250USD/day. A professional interpreter in the UK will not leave home for that amount for a day of work in a booth.

Interpreter rates are not calculated as such, at least to my knowledge, in most countries. We have a daily rate.

A normal market rate for the UK is aprox. 600 euro/day (up to 7 hours net - sometimes 8, that is if you are not following AIIC...
See more
Hi,

If you charge 0.10 USD/word and you daily output (8 h) is 2500 words, you come up with 250USD/day. A professional interpreter in the UK will not leave home for that amount for a day of work in a booth.

Interpreter rates are not calculated as such, at least to my knowledge, in most countries. We have a daily rate.

A normal market rate for the UK is aprox. 600 euro/day (up to 7 hours net - sometimes 8, that is if you are not following AIIC ).

JL

----------------------------------------------

I'm in the UK, I charge £0.15/word, with daily output (8h), 2500 words would be £375/day.
For the interpreting depending what I'm interpreting my daily charge is £240/£320.
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:58
Spanish to French
+ ...
Consecutive paid lower than simultaneous? Jul 16, 2012

Jesús Marín Mateos wrote:

It depends whether it is consecutive or simultaneous.
If it is simultaneous no less that £300/£350 per day (depending on subject - (if it is technical it might be more) and if it is consecutive £200/£250.
Just an idea...of course there are people who charge less and there are people who charge more.
Good luck.

From what I have been told, although simultaneous interpreting is a world in itself, a session usually lasts 2 hours at most and only from one language to another whereas consecutive interpreting can be for a whole day, juggling back and forth from one language to the other...quite strenuous at the end of the day. And therefore normally better paid.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
Russian to English
+ ...
In the US the interpreting rates are usually $25-65/hr Jul 16, 2012

Some agencies may pay $20/hr, some interpreters may charge up to $150/hr for rare languages, in fact Lithuanian being one of them. There is also a minimum -- usually two or three hour minimum. The travel time is paid usually $20/hr, but only if the interpreter lives more than 30 miles from the courthouse, or the place where the interpreting is scheduled.

You should fight for your rights in Britain.

Lien To
Lien To
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Simultaneous interpretation rate for non-certified interpreters in US Jul 17, 2012

Anyone has any ideas about simultaneous interpretation rate for non-certified interpreters? I urgently need this information (rates applied for private institutions & organizations) but my search yields almost nothing. The rate of US Court is way too low though - I don't think private institutions should/actually apply this.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
More information Jul 17, 2012

Lien To wrote:

Anyone has any ideas about simultaneous interpretation rate for non-certified interpreters? I urgently need this information (rates applied for private institutions & organizations) but my search yields almost nothing. The rate of US Court is way too low though - I don't think private institutions should/actually apply this.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

We cannot give you any idea because we don't know what language you speak (some pay more than others), in what state you live, what kind of assignment is it (deposition, conference, community interpreting), for how long (and if it's a long assignment, if you will do team interpreting) and what's your background (what's your education, have you taken any workshops, how much experience you have).

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Lien I would say $500 a day Jul 17, 2012

Hi, Lien. I would think a fair rate is $500. It is not one of the highest rates, but fair in my opinion. More established interpreters charge $700-$1,500., the average being about $700, I would say.
If you never did, it however, I would suggest that you try it somehow first, because it is not that easy and requires a lot of training in addition to knowledge and language competence. Also, you are not supposed to interpret for more than 45 minutes at a time, and then there should be 20 minu
... See more
Hi, Lien. I would think a fair rate is $500. It is not one of the highest rates, but fair in my opinion. More established interpreters charge $700-$1,500., the average being about $700, I would say.
If you never did, it however, I would suggest that you try it somehow first, because it is not that easy and requires a lot of training in addition to knowledge and language competence. Also, you are not supposed to interpret for more than 45 minutes at a time, and then there should be 20 minutes break.
Collapse

Lien To
Lien To
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Simultaneous interpretation rate for non-certified interpreters in US (cont.) Jul 17, 2012

Thanks a lot, Teju and LilianBoland.

I speak Vietnamese. I guess it's not rare, but not too popular either. And the occasion would be an intensive 4-week conference/training program (for highly educated people) in a university of Arizona. The organizer has not decided whether to hire just one or two interpreters for this job. I am not a professional/certified interpreter, but have done quite a lot of translation & int
... See more

I speak Vietnamese. I guess it's not rare, but not too popular either. And the occasion would be an intensive 4-week conference/training program (for highly educated people) in a university of Arizona. The organizer has not decided whether to hire just one or two interpreters for this job. I am not a professional/certified interpreter, but have done quite a lot of translation & interpretation in the last 12 years. My education background is post-grad, with a major not relating to linguistics/translation though (MS in Public Affairs). So, you have any further advice for me..?

Thank you very much, guys.

[Edited at 2012-07-18 16:23 GMT]
Collapse

Virginie Proisy
Virginie Proisy  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Telefon-Dolmetschen Jul 18, 2012

Hi everybody,

I have gone through your different comment about interpreting rates.

And what is about phone interpreting?
And how does it work? Do we need Skype connection?

How much would you charge for it? I did understand well that the cost charging will be calculated on an hourly basis.

I would be thankful for more precise information accordingly.

Have a nice day and happy translating!

Thanks

Vir
... See more
Hi everybody,

I have gone through your different comment about interpreting rates.

And what is about phone interpreting?
And how does it work? Do we need Skype connection?

How much would you charge for it? I did understand well that the cost charging will be calculated on an hourly basis.

I would be thankful for more precise information accordingly.

Have a nice day and happy translating!

Thanks

Virginie
Collapse

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now we are getting somewhere Jul 18, 2012

Lien To wrote:

I speak Vietnamese. I guess it's not rare, but not too popular either. And the occasion would be an intensive 4-week conference/training program (for highly educated people) in a university of Arizona. The organizer has not decided whether to hire just one or two interpreters for this job. I am not a professional/certified interpreter, but have done quite a lot of translation & interpretation in the last 12 years. My education background is post-grad, with a major not relating to linguistics/translation though (MS in Public Affairs). So, you have any further advice for me..?

Thank you very much, guys.

[Edited at 2012-07-17 23:36 GMT]

Finding a qualified Vietnamese interpreter isn't easy in most US cities, my language is Spanish and I think it's the one with the most interpreters. That means that you will command a higher wage than a Spanish interpreter, as a general rule (leaving out credentials and other factors). I'm glad to hear that the assignment is at a University, that may mean that whoever hires you has done this before, but don't take this for granted, ask them if they have hired an interpreter for a conference before. The reason I say this, is because most people don't have a clue about what we do or how we do it. An "intensive 4 week conference" requires a team of interpreters. Ideally, you'd be working with people you know and trust. If not, find out who they are and get together beforehand to meet and to prepare. Ask for any written materials the conference organizer may have or may get so you become familiarized with the subject and can prepare a glossary of terms. Ask if the participants will always be together in one room or if they will have break out sessions that need interpretation (which would mean they need more interpreters). Make sure they get their own equipment and they have someone present at all times who's responsible of handing out the equipment, has extra batteries, monitors that no one walks away with it before leaving and helps anyone who's having technical difficulties. You cannot do all this and interpret at the same time. Stress the importance of having the equipment checked, one by one, before the event, because you cannot interpret if the equipment doesn't work (one of the many reasons why you don't want to be in charge of this).
About rates, you would really have to speak to other Vietnamese interpreters. I don't know what the going rate is for that language or for Arizona. I would say you should be able to get at least $100 an hour. You may want to Google if Arizona has an interpreters association, so you can get in touch with other V. interpreters to find out more about rates. If not, call the California association, I bet they have lots of them.

I hope this was helpful, good luck to you!!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Lien To
Lien To
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Thank you Teju! Jul 19, 2012

Thank you so much, Teju. Your advice is very useful to me. I'll keep these in mind.

arksevost
arksevost
United States
Local time: 00:58
English to Russian
+ ...
I totally agree that these rates are very low Dec 17, 2012

Juan Chen wrote:

Vitaly Dotsenko wrote:

Consecutive $240/day
Seminar Simultaneous $320/day
Conference Simultaneous $450/day

According to my experiences in China, such rates are much lower than China's current standards.

I totally agree that these rates are very low. They are possibly acceptable where you live, but they are way too low according to the US rates. In the US the simultaneous interpretation rate could be from 500 USD to 800 USD per day depending on the client. It also depends on the language pair.

Nor Afizah
Nor Afizah
Malaysia
Local time: 13:58
English to Malay
Interpreter wannabe May 13, 2013

Hi all,

This topic sounds very interesting. I have been doing translation, paraphrasing, editing and proofreading over the years, and never thought that there is a thing called interpretation!

The rate sounds good, much better than the translation, and it should be considering many factors such as you gotta be present in the live setting etc. Having the chance to meet new people and travel the world for each job sound very tempting.

I thought of signing up
... See more
Hi all,

This topic sounds very interesting. I have been doing translation, paraphrasing, editing and proofreading over the years, and never thought that there is a thing called interpretation!

The rate sounds good, much better than the translation, and it should be considering many factors such as you gotta be present in the live setting etc. Having the chance to meet new people and travel the world for each job sound very tempting.

I thought of signing up for the course at ITBM (in Malaysia) but certification is definitely not sufficient to be confident enough to market myself.

Simultaneous interpretation is not where i'm heading, it's for expert. Consecutive sounds good especially for focus group discussion but seriously, not sure where to begin. What would be the best approach to be an interpreter?

Thx in advance!
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kettle Jan 20, 2014

Jesús Marín Mateos wrote:

... but it is a different cattle of fish (is that the way you say it?)
Good luck.

It's actually "kettle of fish" (olla de pescado)...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »