Interpreting on a City Tour Bus/Coach
Thread poster: Cooper33

Cooper33
United States
Sep 16, 2015

Hello all,

I have been contacted about interpreting for a group of people taking a tour of my city. This will be a large tourist bus/coach, about 4 hours, driving around while the American tour guide describes the highlights. They will be getting off at some stops and there will be a lunch break.

There will be 5 Germans, 1 Italian, 9 French, about 30 Americans. The interpreters will have transmitters and the listeners will have receivers.

Is this possible? It will be a really noisy environment. There will be traffic/noise from the road, the English tour guide speaking, the 3 interpreters speaking at the same time, the chatty people who don't want to listen...

Same thing when they get off - all the interpreters will be talking at once, plus chatty folks and any noise at the locations.

And, I don't think the interpreters can get a direct audio feed from the tour guide. We have to have the three transmitters set to different channels so they can't all tune in to hear the guide on the same channel. The interpreters will just have to listen at an ambient volume.

Is there a better way to approach this? I'm stumped!

Thanks!

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Buenos Aires Sep 17, 2015

This:

http://www.buenosairesbus.com/en/service.htm

... works very well in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Of course, the entire system was not built overnight, but unless the traffic in your city is as bad and as unpredictable as in São Paulo, Brazil, this could be the start of something good.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:39
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Interpretation booth quality standards Sep 17, 2015

Cooper33 wrote:

There will be 5 Germans, 1 Italian, 9 French, about 30 Americans. The interpreters will have transmitters and the listeners will have receivers.

Is this possible? It will be a really noisy environment. There will be traffic/noise from the road, the English tour guide speaking, the 3 interpreters speaking at the same time, the chatty people who don't want to listen...

Thanks!

Interpretation quality standard gives advises on how to design good quality facilities for such interpretation. Please search and review it.
Example is:
http://www.multi-languages.com/materials/National_Standard_Guide_for_Community_Interpreting_Services.pdf

Soonthon L.

Cooper33
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input! Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to respond...I think these will be quite helpful. Best,
Sara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting on a City Tour Bus/Coach

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search