How can I start a career?
Thread poster: Ga_ia

Ga_ia
Italy
Nov 10, 2015

Hi everyone!

My name is Gaia and I’m 23.

Recently, I have graduated in foreign languages and linguistic mediation , and now I’m looking for “my place in the world”.

I would like to find a job, but if there are some interesting courses in what I would be, why not!

Since I was a child, my dream is: “one day, I will be an interpreter”. Unfortunately, due to a series of problems, I have to stop studying foreign languages, translation and interpretation.

I don’t want to leave my dream, but now I’m feeling lost and I don’t know how to take the first steps in the world of translation and interpretation.

So I would like to ask: how can I be a good interpreter? Can I be an interpreter without a specific university courses? (I have to study interpretation at least for other 2 years, but I can’t) Are there some professional interpreting courses?

During my university studies, I have learnt something about interpretation (mainly about simultaneous, liaison and consecutive interpretation), so, can I start to take the first steps now, and if “yes”, how can I do it?

I think that it is important to say, that my university studies focused on different type of translation, for example geographic, tourist, commercial, business, advertising etc. So, I think that I can start my career as a translator, but how can I do it?

In addition to interpreting and translating, during these years I have found a new interesting activity: dubbing. I have no experience and I never studied it before, but I have been fascinating by this kind of world too. Some advice for this activity? (Some courses, how to do this as a job, how to combined it with the study of foreign languages etc)

My apologies for asking too many questions, but I’m new to this world, and during this period of my life, I would like to take the right choice for a better future, where, I hope, I will be want I want to be in my professional life.

In advance, thank you to all the people, that will spend a little of their time to help me.

Gaia.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:26
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My comments Nov 11, 2015

I gave replies/suggestions to this sort of question for many times. Please do search in Proz.com forum.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I start a career?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search